• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

UK bans spam messages

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
perhaps i'm psychic, perhaps not, but i saw this one coming:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3120628.stm

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That will put an end to UK citizens sending spam to other UK citizens using UK ISPs.
Anything else won't be stopped.
For non-UK people to go after UK spammers (such as they are) is too expensive.
For UK people to go after spammers from outside the UK is futile because in their countries it's usually not illegal (and again would be too expensive).

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was wondering on the specifics. You if you can't send email to a UK business address unless you have permission, and you can't send unsolicited email to an address in Italy at all, does that mean no-one can send email between the UK and Italy without calling to see if it's OK first? You can't send an email asking for permission, after all.
Just taking it to the least level of absurdity.
Ignore me, I'm just enjoying watching the slow demise of email...

Jeroen Wenting
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hmm, you do have a point.
Depending on the exact wording of the laws that might indeed be the case, but most likely there is a limit defined (say email sent to more than 1000 people at once).
A more certain system to destroy email usefulness is the escrow system some people are proposing in which you have to pay the recipient for each message you send him/her.
That would destroy the option of sending email to another ISP as they're unlikely to work together.
Of course doing nothing will destroy email as well. As an example I received over 1000 virus emails since yesterday morning, and that's only the ones not blocked by my spamfilter (which stopped another 1000 or so).
Add a total of about a hundred regular spam, and compare that to maybe 50 legitimate emails in the same amount of time.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic