• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Freudian slips

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"[W]e've had leaks out of the administrative branch, had leaks out of the legislative branch, and out of the executive branch and the legislative branch, and I've spoken out consistently against them, and I want to know who the leakers are."�Chicago, Sept. 30, 2003
One Bush slip-up put me in mind of a Freudian slip by Shakespeare:

"One half of me is yours, the other half yours,
Mine own, I would say; but if mine, then yours,
And so all yours."
Shakespeare's Portia's revealing advice to Bassanio, to whom she wishes to declare her love, while knowing she must not:
Put in context it does make sense!
Any other slip-ups ?

How about a Dr Seuss slip ? (that modern Freud).
regards
[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]

HS Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dr Seuss's style of whimsical excursion into fantasy and lyrical rhyme lend itself to a few Freudian slips.
Here's a comment on a Doctor Seuss story :
The Butter Battle
"is a Cold War-inspired cautionary tale about the dangers of an escalating arms race. Just like in the book, the neighboring Yooks and Zooks are identical societies except for one dehumanizing difference that makes them mortal enemies: The Yooks eat their bread with the buttered side up, and the Zooks eat it with the buttered side down.
The story ends with the two opposing generals facing each other with the ultimate bomb that will destroy the enemy's land. The grandson of one general asks the question, "Who's going to drop it?" The reply is, "Be patient...we will see."
But why does grandpa get an egg at the end?
A powerful statement is this for it raises questions about our own relationship in the World Order. Dr. Suess, known for his whimsical excursion into fantasy and lyrical rhyme, has not abandoned these elements.
This book develops the themes of "The Sneetches", "The Lorax" and "Yertle the Turtle" where human failings: greed, pride, power are illustrated without pointing the finger at any nation or sector. Read and think. The success of this book can be measured in the number of military academies that ban it from their library collections."
regards
[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
After finishing my last book I've realized that I've become a "real" typist. This is nothing to brag about, I know, but it's a neat feeling to have finally trained myself to type without ever looking at my fingers.
Anyway, I've noticed, in the last few months, that I've begun to make Freudian typing slips. Especially when I'm distracted, words from one train of thought will appear in text I'm typing nominally driven by another. A co-worker pointed out to me recently that I've done this in CVS check-in messages, referring to one project by the name of another, for instance. I've done this in email, also.
Does this happen to anybody else, or is it just my peculiar brain malady?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, even Freud said that "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". Wait... Did I just say that I wanted to wear my mother's clothes?

HS Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This Freud saying is apparently part of Freudian folklore.
What was probably said by someone else :
"Even for Freud, a cigar is just a cigar".
Apparently, this statement may have came from Freud replying to a question during a the famous Clark University lectures. Freud , describing the latent sexual meaning and significance of dream symbols, when someone asked, "You seem to smoke a lot of cigars, what does *that* symbolize?" Thus issued the famous but apparently unconfirmed, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." It sounds like Freud and is consistent with his persistant refusal to analyse his addition with cigars.
"You seem to smoke a lot of cigars, does *that* symbolize you want to wear your mother's clothes? " .
"Do you believe dreams are images of the subconscious strung together?"
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
Hhmmm.
A Freudian slip comes from the subconcious mind and cannot be engineered.
To be engineered , it must be recognisable and hence would have moved from the sub-consciuos to the conscious and then be made sense of.

It's interesting that Ernest notices his writing has Freudian slips.
I'll be looking for Freudian slips in Jess in Action, Ernest.
The mind is like an iceberg ! :roll:
My navel is an innie. (More of a navel-gazing slip )
regards
[ October 05, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]

HS Thomas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
HARRY POTTER - A FREUDIAN CIGAR (MIS) READING
(Only look, if you don't mind Harry Potter being ruined for you, forever).
If you really want to annoy people

I quite liked the Shakespearen Freudian slip but wonder what these guys will make of it! Perhaps I shall ask them!
regards
[ October 06, 2003: Message edited by: HS Thomas ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic