• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Basic question in Java.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,
I am very new to Java and JavaRanch. A friend of mine sent me a folder having a few .java files and an equal number of .class files. He threw me a challenge to figure out what the program was all about using JBuilder. I dont know where to start as I am jus a few days old with Java. I want to know how I would use JBuilder to understand the program as a whole.
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Open JBuilder and select 'open'. Browse to the files you want to open ( you will open .java files, not the corresponding .class files ). That's pretty much it. Although, I would recommend opening the .java files in TextPad or NotePad first, and compile from the command line. Until you at least can compile from the command line and write code in a text file, you should stay away from GUI development tools (I'm only talking about 2-3 days, though). After you've done your first 'hello world' program from the command line, then start using JBuilder. That way, you understand what is happening 'behind the scenes.' Just my two cents!

Ram Ganesan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks David. That helped.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic