• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Array Decleration

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In reading some books on Java Array declaring then writting small files to try and compile I did found that if I declare an Array reference outside of a method, then try to create the array using the array ref = new array_type[size], the program will not compile, but if I do the same inside a method it works
Example (file named Arraytest.java)
class Arraytest{
int[] scores = new int[5]; // NOT in method declare and create on 1 line

int[] scores2;
scores2 = new int[5]; // This will NOT compile
public anyMethod(){
int[] scores3;
scores3 = new int[5]; //This will compile
}
}
Why is this??? I have a feeling it has to do with no variables are created until the class is created, but then why if you do it on 1 line it compiles fine.
All the books I that talk about arrays use code snipets
and explain that doing declaring and creating array on two different lines is find.
FYI running Java 1.3

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The line

is a declaration with an initializer. The line

is a declaration without an initializer. Both are fine at the class level; they declare, and optionally initialize, an array variable. The initializer is understood to be executed when an instance of the class is created, before the the class's constructor is invoked.
This

is an executable statement. You can't have executable statements at class scope. If you have code you want executed when an object is created, it belongs either in an initializer, in a constructor, or, rarely, in an instance initialization block (which is so rare I won't go into it here.) That's just how the language works. There's no rule that specifies when and how such lines of code would be executed. In your case, it's easy to imagine that the compiler should know what you mean; but in the general case of statements at class scope, it would be a giant mess. Executable statements need to be in a function.
Note for nitpickers: instance initializers get compiled into a function.
Make sense?

I'm all tasted up for a BLT! This tiny ad wants a monte cristo!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic