• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Demystified :- reader question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi, can i know how "Java Demystified" book benefit to novice, intermediate and advanced programmer ? thank you very much for your comments !
[ July 05, 2004: Message edited by: Alvin chew ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Jim had already pointed out in another thread that his book is meant for beginners.

Alvin chew
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i do prefer book with more practical samples ...how bout this book ? is it more focus on theoritical or practical concern

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are new to Java, the Java Demystified is one of the places to be - I mentioned "one of" because realistically you'll probably find yourself purchasing a number of books on the topic - at least I do when learning a new language. However, if you are knowledgeable about Java but are not too sure of GUI or JDBC, then you'll find this book worthwhile because both of these topics are covered. As for the examples, I keep example simple. By that I mean I don't give one example that covers multiple topics because that becomes confusing. Examples are practical in the sense that you can easily use them in your own application with slight modification (i.e. point to the correct database and use the correct fields). However, don't expect to find complete applications in this book (i.e. an order entry system) because you'll be disappointed. You'll find enough examples to make your own order entry application.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic