• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Some direction required...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hopefully this is in the right section.

I'm trying to write a short program which deals 20 random playing cards. At the moment I just have a card class, containing a randomCard method, which generates two random numbers and assigns them to a specific suit and value (using switch statements). I then return the card as a string and run a for loop in the main class to print out the 20 cards. I'm struggling to think of a way to check for duplication. How would I virtually take a card out the deck once it is delt so that it isnt generated again?

Hopefully I want to turn this into a full version of the game 'pontoon'. What classes should I use and how should they interact with each other?

Many thanks,

Matt

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have each card in the deck have a unique identifier (an integer number will do) and store all retrieved identifiers in some data structure (probably an array).
Then all you have to do is check whether a new card already exists in that array and generate another one if it does.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeroen Wenting:
Have each card in the deck have a unique identifier (an integer number will do) and store all retrieved identifiers in some data structure (probably an array).
Then all you have to do is check whether a new card already exists in that array and generate another one if it does.

This has one slight disadvantage. Say you are dealing all 52 cards in a standard deck. Once you deal the first 51 cards, theoretically you can infinitely try to generate a new card to deal and always generate one that was already previously dealt. An alternative to this is to create a data structure, either an array or ArrayList would do nicely, that holds all the possible unique cards. Then you pick a random card from the structure and remove it. The next time you deal a card, only the remaining cards in the deck are in the data structure. When you get to the last card, you can easily deal it without having to double-check if your randomly generated card has been dealt already.

HTH

Layne

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another common technique is to make a collection of the 52 possible card values (maybe just ints 1 through 52) and mix them up (shuffle). Then you can take the first "n" and get a random set. See if you can think of a neat way to mix up a bunch of card numbers.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Along the same lines. You have an array of 52 cards. You randomly pick a number from the size of the array. Take that Card and remove it form the array. Now the array has 51 elements, so the next time you randomly pick a number from the size of the array, it will be from 1 to 51, or actually 0 to 50, subtract one from the randomizer.

Mark

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh, I forgot to ask. Are you from UEA, as in the country?

Also please remove those letters from your display name, since it doesn't meet our naming policy of using a real first and last name. Unless you real first name is UEAMatt, which is unlikely.

Mark

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And I should look at the Javadocs becfore answering sometimes.

Collections.shuffle(List)

or Collections.shuffle(List, Random)

Then just go through the List, and remove as you go along, if you want to.

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic