Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Certification really worth it ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi Gurucharan
I absolute agree with you
That is what the company expectation for hiring a programmer

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My reasons for taking the certification were completely superficial. I had noticed that often times recruiters skimming through hundreds of resumes feel much more confident in picking out candidates with certifications. Having a certification at least gets me one step closer.
I had been programming for the past 3 years in different languages including Java. Having taken the SCPJ, I may have learnt a few more things about Java that I was unaware of but it has not made me a drastically improved programmer.
The benefits of certification I guess are relative to the expectations. The certification is definitely beneficial for me because it does serve my purpose.
Vikram

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey, im new, still in college, and apparently 5 years too late for this forum, but, i want to improve my knowledge for when i get my "first" java-based job. Is this the wrong approach? i personally love the java language. I just recently purchased books on servlets, jsp, jakarta struts, java networking, and jdbc. This stuff really interests me.

And to be perfectly honest, i DO want to get a good paying job, something that rewards me for the studying i put forth. I want experience, i want to write software in java, i want that cushy job, i want to be a humorous, overly-outgoing java professional.

Also, another reason why i read this forum was becuase i wanted to know if it was worth studying know before i gradutate college and enter the job market.

anyways thats my 2 9/10s cents (for those who enjoy saving that extra 1/10 cent on gas these days)

-joshy

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Josh, welcome to JavaRanch. Please don't wake the zombies. You're responsing to a thread that is more than six years old.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good quote "Dont Wake The Zombies".

But Jesper, this is an ever-relevant question. I am feeling that without much Java work experince in each of the topics for the exam, memorising (after understanding) is the only way out. And there is lots to learn.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Erik Dark wrote:It seems a lot of people here are experienced in IT/Java and now seek certification. That's a perfectly good order to do things I think..
But what if you lack (job-)experience and like to get a foot in the door of IT? Not just to get another payed job but because you found out you are fascinated by the whole thing (Java) and want to get your finger behind it...sincerely!
This little story points out what made me studying for SCJP, realizing though it's not the cleanest way to do it. But maybe it gives me just that foot in the door to gain real experience
What was first: the chicken or the egg?
Erik Dark

You are kind of right, it really seems it is a good way to get into the game. But most importantly i think it is good to get both the chicken and the egg.

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Victor, please note that Eric Dark's question was posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002. I don't think he is still waiting for an answer...

I am closing this very old topic. If you want to discuss this subject further, please open a new topic.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic