• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

(Attn: Ravish) IT salaries and living expenses in Bangalore

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Manish Hatwalne:
Which company (companies?) in Banglore pays around 8L/p.a. for 4 years exp? I am interested!!!
- Manish

Accenture I guess. One of ex collegues with 4.5 years of exp get 9 lakhs. Huge sum of money isn't? well not everyone is so lucky
[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Pradeep Bhat ]

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ranga Sreenivasan:

1 US $ = 47 Indian Rupee (Am not sure about the exact rate though, but its pretty close)

It is 45.83.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

First of all, in Bangalore it is very difficult to get one BHK (forget Mumbai).

I am staying in one.

Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:

Accenture I guess. One of ex collegues with 4.5 years of exp get 9 lakhs. Huge sum of money isn't? well not everyone is so lucky
[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Pradeep Bhat ]

9L/p.a.
Industry standard is around half of theat for 3-4 years exp!!! The guy must be from Infy, and must be drawing quite a good salary before! You are right, not everyone is so lucky. :roll: :roll: :roll:
- Manish

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One of my friend in Autodesk is getting 6L p/year.He graduated in 1999.!!He works in Support section. .These companies can afford as their revenue is in American dollars.Another big American firm in Pune provides breakfast,lunch,dinner etc to all employees at subsidized rates!!
Anyway,I have decided to move to BLR.
[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Capablanca Kepler ]
[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Capablanca Kepler ]

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Capablanca Kepler:
Anyway,I have decided to move to BLR.

Can you tell me the area where you are getting 1 BHK in 2.5K
I am pretty much intrested in knowing that.

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I heard from my friend.Last time I went to BLR was in 1992 and property rates were not expensive.I will update here once I get the information.So according to you,its costlier than 2.5K?In that case I will buy the flat.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Another big American firm in Pune provides breakfast,lunch,dinner etc to all employees at subsidized rates!!

And there is one which provides for free ... that too a quality one !!!
anyways I have heard that Qualcomm is opening (or has opened) a centre in Pune ... is that true?

Varun Khanna
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tavant and Techspan too fall in same bracket , knew a friend of mine who joined at around 6.5L p.a. with 3 yrs of experience.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Can you tell me the area where you are getting 1 BHK in 2.5K

Yes you can get. I was staying in one (nothern bangalore )but I moved to different place and could not find one with the same rent.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Yes you can get. I was staying in one (nothern bangalore )but I moved to different place and could not find one with the same rent.

yeshwantpur side,
or is it sanjay nagar ??
[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So according to you,its costlier than 2.5K?In that case I will buy the flat.

That is a good idea really.
A single room apartment (just a room, kitchen & bathroom. No seperate bedroom & drawing. A studio basically) costs more than 2.5K in areas like Koramangala, Indira Nagar.
My house in Koramangala costs Rs 8500/month (2BHK).
Areas like BTM, JP Nagar are relativly cheaper, but still very high when compared to other metros.
I'm hunting for a house for months (to purchase), but no luck yet

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

North Bangalore? Hmmm...that explains it
And travel 2 hours in traffic to reach South where the IT companies are located!

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mani Ram:

North Bangalore? Hmmm...that explains it
And travel 2 hours in traffic to reach South where the IT companies are located!

There are some good companies in North too like Aditi , I cant recall name one is also on yeshwantpur highway ...
Kormangala is too expensive .. BTW from last 3 yrs I am living outside Bangalore Map [Ad-mag's Blore map ]
AW Mani did you see that adv in TOI property today. There is some flats in 3 laks [area is too less] by itinia properties.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just for some comparison. In my area (Chicago suburbs):
2BHK approx. Rs 40K/mo.
3BHK over Rs 70K/mo.
To buy a 4BR house: Rs 270L (I don't know how to abbreviate Crores).
Yipes!
Joe

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

And travel 2 hours in traffic to reach South where the IT companies are located

My company was located in North Bangalore itself.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Manish Hatwalne:

9L/p.a.
Industry standard is around half of theat for 3-4 years exp!!! The guy must be from Infy, and must be drawing quite a good salary before! You are right, not everyone is so lucky. :roll: :roll: :roll:
- Manish

You can also get lucky . You know what has to be done.
Your site is wonderful. Was useful during scjp
[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Pradeep Bhat ]

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

My house in Koramangala costs Rs 8500/month (2BHK).

I can guess your salary from this.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Joe Pluta:
2BHK approx. Rs 40K/mo.
3BHK over Rs 70K/mo.
To buy a 4BR house: Rs 270L (I don't know how to abbreviate Crores).
Yipes!
Joe

Sounds cheap! Here in Dublin, Ireland:
2BHK appox. Rs 55K/mo
3BHK appox. Rs 85-100K/mo.
And to buy a 4BR house: It would be a decent 400,000 Euros, and thats what? cant get my head around lakhs myself - say about nearly half a million Euros? That's 25 million rupees?!!!
The catch is, average salaries here in Ireland is only about 60% of that of the US of A, and the effective income tax is above 35% and lets not forget the VAT of 21% on goods and services!
All in a sudden, Banglore sounds quite serene and beautiful to me!

Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
2BHK appox. Rs 55K/mo
3BHK appox. Rs 85-100K/mo.

Furnished or unfurnished? (It's still expensive either way, but I was quoting unfurnished apartments.)

And to buy a 4BR house: It would be a decent 400,000 Euros, and thats what? cant get my head around lakhs myself - say about nearly half a million Euros? That's 25 million rupees?!!!
Yeah, that's close. 400K euro is about 23 million rupees.

The catch is, average salaries here in Ireland is only about 60% of that of the US of A, and the effective income tax is above 35% and lets not forget the VAT of 21% on goods and services!
Is Dublin one of the higher cost areas to live in the UK? Because you're talking on the scale of New York City. 3BR apartments in NYC can go from $4000-$6000 a month or more. That's Rs1.8L to Rs2.7L/mo. And just for fun - a 4BR townhouse (not even a house, basically a big apartment) might cost you Rs 30 Crores (about 300 million rupees).
Gotta love it. You'd have to work for 400 years at Bangalore rates to buy such a thing.
Joe

Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Is Dublin one of the higher cost areas to live in the UK? Because you're talking on the scale of New York City. 3BR apartments in NYC can go from $4000-$6000 a month or more. That's Rs1.8L to Rs2.7L/mo. And just for fun - a 4BR townhouse (not even a house, basically a big apartment) might cost you Rs 30 Crores (about 300 million rupees).
Gotta love it. You'd have to work for 400 years at Bangalore rates to buy such a thing.
Joe

Well.. NYC is comparable with Bombay. And forget owning a house in Bombay.. there are very very few of those and they sell around 30-40 Crores (300 - 400 million)
Bangalore is comparable with some place like Houston (I mean in terms of development). Its not under developed but definetly not along the lines of Bombay. Bangalore is one of the most poorly planned cities. I used to live on the 13th cross street and I had a hard time figuring out how the 13 cross street came inbetween 6th and 7th.
I used to live in Bangalore at one point of time and I used to pay Rs.4000 (approx. 100$ /mo) for a small room , no bigger than my cubicle, and a bathroom. Two people would constantly keep bumping into each other in that room. No kitchen, hall, parking nothing.. sure thats a lot of money.. but I loved the neighborhood. (Jayamahal extension).. has to be the best neighborhood in all of B'lore (IMO).

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul McKenna:
I used to live on the 13th cross street and I had a hard time figuring out how the 13 cross street came inbetween 6th and 7th.

[searching a address is toughest job in Blore ]
AW Blore was for retired people till IT came here and then suddenly there was high traffic, over populated streets etc.
I remember in 1997 airport road was almost empty and 100ft IndiraNagar road was like heaven [broad street with trees both sides and almost no traffic]
and today flyover is being made there

Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
(Jayamahal extension).. has to be the best neighborhood in all of B'lore (IMO).
Okay, here's a question: how well are Americans tolerated in India? The more I hear native Indians speak about their country, the more I'd like to visit. I've been to Europe and to the Middle East, but never to India.
Since it seems like our two countries are likely to be economically linked for a long time to come, I think it would help my perspective to see some of the country. But given some of the sentiment expressed here, it seems like it might not be wise for an American to visit India.
Joe

Paul McKenna
Ugly Redneck
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Okay, here's a question: how well are Americans tolerated in India? The more I hear native Indians speak about their country, the more I'd like to visit. I've been to Europe and to the Middle East, but never to India.
Since it seems like our two countries are likely to be economically linked for a long time to come, I think it would help my perspective to see some of the country. But given some of the sentiment expressed here, it seems like it might not be wise for an American to visit India.
Joe

I remember when the Kashmir conflict flared up, the US State department advised all US Citizens to get out of India. There were something like 60000 to 70000 US citizens at that point. India is generally very very friendly towards westerners.
People may not like US government policies (dont ask me why) but they definetly dont have anything against western people. Infact of what I have observed many Indians like to work under Americans rather than Indians. Women have to exercise more caution and in general as a safety rule.. Americans should stay out of known trouble spots like Kashmir / North East India etc. Make a trip to Kerala, Bangalore, Bombay and you'll be surprised at the huge number of foreigners. Infact the last time I was in Bangalore I was surprised at the huge number of Russians migrating in..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Paul McKenna:

I remember when the Kashmir conflict flared up, the US State department advised all US Citizens to get out of India. There were something like 60000 to 70000 US citizens at that point. India is generally very very friendly towards westerners.
People may not like US government policies (dont ask me why) but they definetly dont have anything against western people. Infact of what I have observed many Indians like to work under Americans rather than Indians. Women have to exercise more caution and in general as a safety rule.. Americans should stay out of known trouble spots like Kashmir / North East India etc. Make a trip to Kerala, Bangalore, Bombay and you'll be surprised at the huge number of foreigners. Infact the last time I was in Bangalore I was surprised at the huge number of Russians migrating in..

Don't forget Goa (if you like beer, sausages , beaches etc...). The carnival is coming up in Jan (or Feb??). It's not on the same scale as that of Brazil but it's fun nonetheless.

Ashok Mash
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Is Dublin one of the higher cost areas to live in the UK?
Joe[/QB]

Well, I am sure its a mistake, and I am sure you know when I said, 'Dublin, Ireland', Ireland is a different country (Republic of Ireland) and its NOT the UK (United Kingdom of Great Briton). Well I've heard of average Joe American being ignorant about rest of the world etc, but I am sure this was just a typo or something!
Meanwhile, about Americans in India, outside North American continent, probably India is one of the safest places for Americans to be than anywhere else in the world. Even in UK you have a high chance of getting mugged or at least being 'looked at' for talking with an American accent! In India, save the touts trying to sell you moon and mars, you will generally be respected and treated just as well as anyone else, if not better. Now, my friend from Washington DC (she is in Dublin this week) was in embarrassing situation once, where her auto-rickshaw driver concluded his opinion about the (sad) state of politics in India on a positive note - he said: "Well, Indian political system is so damn corrupt, yet it works somehow, unlike yours, where you wait a whole year for election results, and that too, only to chose the wrong candidate!!" Thats probably as bad as it gets!
However, I would expect an average westerner to find India shocking and disgusting at first couple of weeks of his/her arrival in India, and then, somehow they seems to fall in love with the organized chaos of India!
PS: [No offence meant, but that was not a fictional story, it really happened!]
[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Ashok Mash ]

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The more I hear native Indians speak about their country, the more I'd like to visit. I've been to Europe and to the Middle East, but never to India.

Believe me all indians are not as bad as I am
AW if you plan then seriously would love to be your host in Bangalore and can try to arrange lodging & fooding in some of the other great cities of India also.
May I expect a call from you ??
[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

Joe Pluta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I am sure its a mistake, and I am sure you know when I said, 'Dublin, Ireland', Ireland is a different country (Republic of Ireland) and its NOT the UK (United Kingdom of Great Briton). Well I've heard of average Joe American being ignorant about rest of the world etc, but I am sure this was just a typo or something!
[laughing] You're of course correct, Ashok. I do get confused, because Northern Ireland is technically part of the UK, while the Republic of Ireland is definitely a different country. And no, I don't want to get into the politics of all that . But thanks for pointing that out - it's not the first time I've made that mistake.
Joe

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Joe

I agree with what Paul has said. Indians don't have any problem with Americans (common man) or any westerner (that includes British). Most of the Indians here opposing some of US Goverment policies. Indians are not up in arms to kill whenever they see a westerner . You can expect a red carpet welcome where ever you go in India (except the troubled spot mentioned above -- this applies to all westerners).
Having said that, I should admit that it is not a heaven for a foreign tourist. Not yet. India has a great potential to become a hot tourist spot for the world if out tourism ministry wake up and clean up some of the mess. Only a very few country in the world can offer such a diversed cultural and Historic tourist places. India is one of them. If you really decided to make a trip, the first and formost thing you should do is, hire a good tour guide (IMHO). Most of the problem will be solved if you do that.
some of the best places are
1. Kerala (good people, good location/places)
2. Goa (nice beach -- Isrealies hot spot)
3. Delhi
4. Agra (ofcourse)
5. Jaipur
6. Natural parks thro' out India
7. Maintained/unmaintained historic places/palaces/temples

Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand
Android Firefox Browser Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

You can also get lucky . You know what has to be done.
Your site is wonderful. Was useful during scjp

I *really* don't know. Your inputs would be very useful...
Thanks for the compliments about the site, but I have not even received a single check from Amazon even after 3 years of having this site (OK first 6 months, I didn't put any books there...)
- Manish

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ashok: Well I've heard of average Joe American being ignorant about rest of the world etc,
Hey, it's not Joe American™!
Once I was talking to an Asian-looking international student, and when I said that I am from Russia, she asked: "Russia... It is to the North from China?"
Heck, even my own girlfriend when we lived in Russia and this Yugoslavia nightmare started, asked "Yugoslavia is not a part of Russia?" Grrr... excuse me, this is too much even for Russians.

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So coming to the point,I will rate Bangalore as average.Yet I am moving there as weather seems to be fine.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So coming to the point,I will rate Bangalore as average.Yet I am moving there as weather seems to be fine.

You wont find much difference in weather.
If you like nature, hills etc then you will like Pune more. I loved to go to the hills when it was raining (which goes to NDA training, near Banjara hills)
[ December 20, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

Ashok Mash
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mapraputa Is:
[QB...asked "Yugoslavia is not a part of Russia?" Grrr... excuse me, this is too much even for Russians. [/QB]

So it's a part of Russia, right? :roll:

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Manish: I *really* don't know.

Why not? :roll:

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are some good companies in North too like Aditi , I cant recall name one is also on yeshwantpur highway ...
Sure there are, but very few. I can name 10 companies in S. Bangalore, for every single company in North Bangalore you name
Kormangala is too expensive ..
True. But I love that area
Also, if you are sharing with your friends, it is not that expensive. Can't you share a Rs. 8000 house with 4 more people?
AW Mani did you see that adv in TOI property today. There is some flats in 3 laks [area is too less] by itinia properties
Thanks for the note, but I'm not interested in flats. I'm looking for an independent house.

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

My company was located in North Bangalore itself.

Then it is fine. I was talking about the general cases.

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by R K Singh:

You wont find much difference in weather.
[ December 20, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

Thanks.Company in BLR is giving 10K/month more than current salary.I have no option but to leave Pune.I m trying in Pune but no luck.

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

2BHK approx. Rs 40K/mo.
3BHK over Rs 70K/mo.
Joe

I was paying $1500 for a 1BHK (furnished) and later $1100 for a 1 BHK (unfurnished) in San Francisco

Mani Ram
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I can guess your salary from this.

You have guessed my wife's salary from this

Space seems cool in the movies, but once you get out there, it is super boring. Now for a fascinating tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic