• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What happened?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If Opening the mouth was good to kill someone...its just BAD BREATH

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, she fell? And died from hitting the ground? Her weight was previously supported by the connection which he held in his mouth, he released it, and so she fell and died upon hitting the ground?
Assuming the above is all correct, there is still the question of why in the world was her weight being supported by something in his mouth? (I know - not a yes-no question.) The mountain-climbing scenario sounded good, except you said that they are in a room. I don't suppose it was an indoor mountain-climbing gym?
Let's see... was the connection a rope or cable? Was there a pully involved? Was there some reason why he couldn't just hold the connection in his hands rather than his mouth, and thereby keep her alive? Were his hands already occupied? Did the man dislike the woman? Was he just extraordinarily stupid?

[This message has been edited by Jim Yingst (edited June 02, 2001).]

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, the fell? And died from hitting the ground? Her weight was previously supported by the connection which he held in his mouth, he released it, and so she fell and died upon hitting the ground?
YES!
Assuming the above is all correct, there is still the question of why in the world was her weight being supported by something in his mouth? (I know - not a yes-no question.)
This is a perfect �yes-no� question! Actually, figuring out this part maybe even more interesting than the previous one, let�s see...
The mountain-climbing scenario sounded good, except you said that they are in a room.
They are in a room, yes. No mountain-climbing.
I don't suppose it was an indoor mountain-climbing gym?
No
Let's see... was the connection a rope or cable? Was there a pully involved?
Hm... After �impact� incident Map becomes careful and ask: what is the difference between a rope and a cable? From my point of view, there is no difference, as long as they could support her. What exactly is a pully?
Was there some reason why he couldn't just hold the connection in his hands rather than his mouth, and thereby keep her alive?
I think there was some reason, yes.
Were his hands already occupied?
Perhaps... I tend to think they were occupied. The answer doesn�t claim it, but it would be realistic to assume that his hands were occupied.
Did the man dislike the woman?
Could be, but not important in this case
Was he just extraordinarily stupid?
Hm... Not very likely, but still possible, I think. But you can get the same result assuming that he was extraordinarily intelligent.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Was he married to more than one woman?
Was he morman?
Was he the mayor of NY?
Divorce>Marriage

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A cable is usually made of metal, while a rope is typically made of hemp or similar fiber. But I wasn't actually interested in that distinction - I wanted to know if it was a (rope or cable) as opposed to !(rope or cable). To eliminate possibilities like a jacket, belt, her hair, sheets, etc. Mostly I wanted to know if it was something designed to support weight, or if I should think about improvised objects instead.
Pulley: A simple machine consisting essentially of a wheel with a grooved rim in which a pulled rope or chain can run to change the direction of the pull and thereby lift a load.
What I was getting at is - just prior to the release and fall, was the rope/cable pulled into a (nearly) straight line connecting the man and woman? Or was it bent, from a pulley or being wrapped around some other object? Was the man higher than the woman? Lower? At about the same height?
It seems odd that she would die instantly from a fall in a room - most rooms aren't that high, and death doesn't happen that quickly. Was the fall for more than, say, 4 meters? 10? 20? Did she land on her head? Did she land on something other than a simple floor, which somehow made the fall more lethal? Was she particularly old and frail? (I think that was covered previously, but just want to make sure.)

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mostly I wanted to know if it was something designed to support weight, or if I should think about improvised objects instead.
It was something specially designed to support weight, yes!
Pulley: A simple machine consisting essentially of a wheel with a grooved rim in which a pulled rope or chain can run to change the direction of the pull and thereby lift a load.
Thanks for explaination! Now I can say safely: nothing even close

What I was getting at is - just prior to the release and fall, was the rope/cable pulled into a (nearly) straight line connecting the man and woman?
Yes
Or was it bent, from a pulley or being wrapped around some other object?
No
Was the man higher than the woman? Lower? At about the same height?
There is not enough information to answer these questions, but you can assume he was higher � that�s more likely statistically.
It seems odd that she would die instantly from a fall in a room - most rooms aren't that high, and death doesn't happen that quickly. Was the fall for more than, say, 4 meters?
Yes
10?
yes
20?
Very likely. Thanks for using meters
Did she land on her head?
Perhaps
Did she land on something other than a simple floor, which somehow made the fall more lethal?
No
Was she particularly old and frail? (I think that was covered previously, but just want to make sure.)
Particularly old? You must be kidding! No. Frail? I hope not...

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, got it.
[This message has been edited by Jim Yingst (edited June 02, 2001).]

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good job, Jim. I've got it too now.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well if you guys feel like sharing, don't let us stop you ... I'm dying to know this one.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My first guess was that these two are a couple circus trapeze/stunt artistes... Is that close, Map?

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
YES!
Closed!

Hm, it looks that you, guys, liked it... Do you want another one?

[This message has been edited by Mapraputa Is (edited June 04, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Map I am thrilled to see your drivel again after your short hibernation...I am so thrilled that I want another one like this!

Mapraputa Is
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ellen, it was in 2001

I wish I remembered what I had in mind as "anothr one"...
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic