• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

One of my favorite poems about love..

Leverager of our synergies
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Mani: Why shocked Map? We actually have works older than this.

I don�t remember anybody voluntarily quoting poem two thousand years old...

Saran: Thats the beauty, wonder of tamil, the classical language. The grammer of the language is so impressive and it no wonder most of our tamilians are very passionate about our language.

Why is it impressive? In particular, do adjectives and auxiliary nouns always come together to form a single concept, like "Chempulapeyarinar"? What about verbs, do they stay alone?

Didn't the language change during last 2000 years? When I was in school, we read one of the first Russian poems written in 12 century-- in translation, because the original is almost incomprehensible.

Swamy: Map, Have you seen earthern pots? Now they are made ornamental, with some sort of painting and some decorative works, in many places. That is made of this red soil We use it for domestic and ornamental purposes.

Found it: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_11-2-2004_pg9_14

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mapraputa Is:
In particular, do adjectives and auxiliary nouns always come together to form a single concept, like "Chempulapeyarinar"? What about verbs, do they stay alone?

It can be combined or they can be separated. Either way it doesn't change the meaning.
Normally, they come together in poems and come separated in prose.

Didn't the language change during last 2000 years?
It has. Many of the words people use today are borrowed from foreign languages like Sanskrit, Urdu, Arabic, Telugu. And the meaning of many words has changed from its original context. But the changes are minimal when compared to other languages

When I was in school, we read one of the first Russian poems written in 12 century-- in translation, because the original is almost incomprehensible.
I have heard similar comments from my friends. Their main problem, I found is not in understanding the meaning, but in splitting the complex words into simple ones, as in the case of 'Chempulapeyarinar'. Many people won't understand what does this complex word mean, but if you break it (Chem + pula + peyal + Neer), they can figure it out easily. With little practice, you could read & understand the old poems, as if you read & understand the modern prose. The sad thing is that, nobody wants to
[ December 01, 2004: Message edited by: Mani Ram ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mein Leben ist

Mein Leben ist nicht diese steile Stunde,
darin du mich so eilen siehst.
Ich bin ein Baum vor meinem Hintergrunde,
ich bin nur einer meiner vielen Munde
und jener, welcher sich am fr�hsten schlie�t.

Ich bin die Ruhe zwischen zweien T�nen,
die sich nur schlecht aneinander gew�hnen:
denn der Ton Tod will sich erh�hn -

Aber im dunklen Intervall vers�hnen
sich beide zitternd.
Und das Lied bleibt sch�n.

Rainer Maria Rilke

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic