• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

which city would you rather live in?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:
OH, and Raleigh is part or next to Research Triangle Park. Where IBM is located and some other great technology companies.

Guys, please stop hijacking this thread. Roger wants serious answers, this is about his life and a tough choice he needs to make. There are only four cities to discuss here, no others. Thanks

Mark

Actually the original post did not indicate that this was about Rogers life or a decision he had to make at all! He merely listed 4 seemingly arbitrary locations and asked for comparisons without offering any explanation of why he wanted these comparisons! The thread may have moved a little away from his original question - but without him offering a context for the question then the thread seems like an open invitation to debate.

Perhaps your assumption that Roger has a monumentous decison to make is incorrect and your steering of the debate accordingly based on your ideas of Rogers life have offended him?

My first interpretation of the topic was that Roger was interested from an intellectual/abstract point of view about the differences between a diverse range of locations. The fact that he merely listed a few locations across USA didnt detract from the "feel" of the post which suggested he was interested in hearing a debate about the relative merits of various locations.... (of course my interporetation of this could be incorrect!)

Now - the Indian cities p**sing contest may have got a little out of hand, but in my opinion the rest of the thread is a perfectly valid and logical follow on from what was a very *loose* opening question!

(Personally I would have enjoyed exploring a discussion of scandinavian living standards as a natural progression of this debate - but it seems that path of conversation has been cruely closed down! )

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I'm not sure what Roger's intent was, or how valid Mark's interpretation was. But you could always start a new thread with wider subject area.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Spritzler:

Not one of his choices.

OK, If I see any posts about any city that is not one of his four choices, I will delete that post.

Please do so. I would really appreciate. You can also delete my this post, I dont mind. Thanks

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by peter wooster:

Snow? We didn't get any in Toronto...

BTW the 5 months are .5 nov, dec, jan, feb, mar, .5 apr.

Lucky!
My 8 months of winter statement comes from some Kansas folks I know who, growing sick of Michigan weather, eventually moved to South Carolina. I later visited them in a July and it felt hotter than a steamy sauna down there! Those folks also (as well as other southerners) have commented that the Great Lakes region doesn't have a summer. I beg to differ, the northern summers are the best weather one could hope for (again, IMHO)!

BTW, if it helps the context of discussion, I saw in another thread that Roger lives in the Detroit area, so he lives in or near Ann Arbor already!

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

(Personally I would have enjoyed exploring a discussion of scandinavian living standards as a natural progression of this debate - but it seems that path of conversation has been cruely closed down! )

Sure, sounds like an interesting topic. Create a new thread.

If you look at the four locations, you can obviously tell that they are not arbitrary because they are not the big major US cities you normally hear about.

If this thread was about arbitrary US locations with diverse climates, I would find New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas, or Dallas as the choice of cities.

Oh and he also posted this in his starting post

career wise, quality of living wise, children wise, weather wise

First one there is career wise, if this thread wasn't about a decision for him to make, why would he have this first.

If you want Roger to clarify why he is asking this question, then ask him.

Mark
[ April 26, 2005: Message edited by: Mark Spritzler ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
as the initiater of this topic, i did ask for help when i started the topic. i have 4 possible opportunity in those 4 locations. so i want to learn more about them in advance. i could wait until i got 4 offers, but firstly it will be too late if i do get all 4 offers, secondly, if some of them never come, then i miss the opportunity to learn more information about different location.

thanks for everyone who has input. thanks also go to moderators who keep the topic on track.

Alan Wanwierd
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Roger Johnson:
as the initiater of this topic, i did ask for help when i started the topic. i have 4 possible opportunity in those 4 locations. so i want to learn more about them in advance. i could wait until i got 4 offers, but firstly it will be too late if i do get all 4 offers, secondly, if some of them never come, then i miss the opportunity to learn more information about different location.

Thanks for the clarification - sorry for any misreading on my part!

Roger Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Marc Peabody:

I beg to differ, the northern summers are the best weather one could hope for (again, IMHO)!

regarding weather, i think you can always add more cloth to stay warm in cold day, but there is not much you can do in warm days.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

regarding weather, i think you can always add more cloth to stay warm in cold day, but there is not much you can do in warm days.

Go Naked

Yes, this is a hijack of a sort.

Mark
[ April 26, 2005: Message edited by: Mark Spritzler ]

Alan Wanwierd
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Alternatively - you can always have air-con on at home/in car/in office when its too hot - but when its grey, miserable amd dark - turning on extra lights doesnt seem to cut it like a good bit of sunshine!

Roger Johnson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
it has been a while, some opportunity bursted, a couple of more pop up:

now the list i am looking at is:

• meriden, connecticut
  • elkhart, indiana
  • niskayuna, new york
  • canton, georgia

• of course, these are the location of the company, when you look for place to live, you can live anywhere within commute distance.

particularly, i have a question regarding >70 years old multi-family home, anyone have experience with them?
    [ June 26, 2005: Message edited by: Roger Johnson ]

author and iconoclast
    Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I can't speak for the others, but Meriden, CT, is an ugly, run-down dump.

Roger Johnson
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Meriden, CT
    ~20 miles from hartford, ct (state capital)
    ~20 miles from new haven, ct (yale university)
    ~100 miles form nyc

could it be that bad?

[ June 26, 2005: Message edited by: Roger Johnson ]

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

albany, new york
    ann arbor, michigan
    raleigh,north carolina
    reno, nevada

career wise, quality of living wise, children wise, weather wise,....

Albany is a giant ghetto. Been there. Thought I was going to be a "Cops" episode.

Ann Arbor is too damn cold and it gets depressing.

raleigh is beautiful.

No knowledg of Reno.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic