• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Running out of memory

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a client which sends a request, gets the response, and ends. It is not a long running process. It is not a daemon.

When the response is really large my client can run out of memory and die. So I have been trying to figure out what to set my intial and max memory settings at. I have found a max value which works, the thing I don't understand is why changing the initial value makes any difference. If I don't set the initial value high enough I can run out of memory - this is without changing the max value.

(The following are only example values) So setting intial to 50meg and max to 150meg works fine. But lowering the intial value to say 25meg causes my client to run out of memory and die. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Any ideas?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well, not only you (program) need to be able to allocate memory. You need to be able to allocate it on time. This is the reason. For more info look for 'permanent generation'.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic