• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Exception Handling

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks,
I have written an application that acts like a simple calculator and performs addition or subtraction of numbers entered in a certain pattern. I was successful in writing the program and compiling it and exceuting it. I am having little bit of trouble in handling exceptions.
I have to handle four kinds of errors and i did get two of them. But didnt know how to achieve the other two.
1. No input at all. The user presses �calculate� and the input text field has nothing to calculate. Put the message, �Enter An Expression� in the top text field if this occurs (and make the bottom text field blank.
2. Wrong number of operators and operands. There should always be an odd number of items (�55� is one instance, � 3 + 2� is three, etc.) Report �Wrong Number Of Elements� in the bottom text field if there is not an odd number of elements (after you tokenize on �+� and �-� ).
3. Invalid operand. If you find something that is not a valid operand (i.e., not an integer) in a place where you would expect an operand to be, then leave the user�s expression in the top text field and put the message �Invalid Operand Or Operator� in the bottom text field.
D. Invalid operator. If you find something that is not a valid operator (i.e., not a �+� or a �-�) in a place where you would expect to find an operator, then leave the user�s expression in the top text field and put the message �Invalid Operand Or Operator� in the bottom text field.
Below is my code:

Thank you,
kt

[ July 29, 2005: Message edited by: kanaka tam ]
[ July 29, 2005: Message edited by: kanaka tam ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure there are many ways to handle this, but here is one suggestion. In your calcStrValue method, use a boolean to keep track of if your token is even or odd. If it is odd check to see if it is a number. If it is even, and it is not +/- throw an exception of your own design and catch it from the caller then display an error message.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For some reason, continued with a slightly reworded repost here.

kanaka tam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
For some reason, continued with a slightly reworded repost here.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to do that on purpose. Totally forgot about posting i did yesterday from school and posted it again. Anyway, i have completed 75% of the problem.
My code handles the follwing exceptions.
When the user fails to enter any value and presses calculate, A message "Enter an Expression" appears in the input text field. if the user enters say "12 - a" i display a message invalid operand.
But my code does not catch an exception like say "12 & 2" then i should display invalid operator and also a message wrong number of elements if the user enters "12 - ". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
kt

kanaka tam
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello folks,
The application below is supposed to catch four kinds of exceptions and i have tried my best with a little help from a fellow memeber but not very successful in catching all of the exceptions. I am very exhausted and I can't figure out what is that I am doing wrong? If anyone could help me i would greatly appreciate that.

thanks,
kt
[ August 01, 2005: Message edited by: kanaka tam ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can you please give us some more detail? What do you expect this to do? What does it ACTUALLY do? I'm not at my own computer at the moment, so I can't compile your code to see for myself. However, I'll be glad to help you if you provide some more information.

Layne

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic