• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need Help on Learning JAVA for my work ( i did java before thou)

Ranch Hand
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi java ranchers, im mike its been a while when i last studied and coded a little in java when i first took the subject in college and i got interested to it among the programming languages ive taken, after that i also decided to take java for internship in which i also did, we developed a test tool for a company's internal software. After those months im back at learning .net for my thesis particularly ASP.net with Vb.net code on it until i graduate in college. So my Java knowledge was covered with .NET without practice in Java. Now i was hired(i decided to look for java) by a mobile/telco company that uses Java and other technology for work, in which i had to study Java on my own with a little amount of time, basically they gave me an outline and yes they are many (ranging from Telco.,J2SE,Blacberry,J2EE) but i wanted to be confident on core Java so that it will be less difficult for others to be learned. Now i wanted to have some advice on what to do and where to start studying.. I really appreciate anything you guys will say THANKS!!!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My opinion, you can start with Java for Dummies.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey,
i've found more than one use for "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel. it's a little OO theory heavy, but should be more than enough to get you up to speed. it's also easy enough to find on the web in pdf or html formats. good luck.

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by f. nikita thomas:
... "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel...

I second that recommendation, especially for someone who already has a programming background. (Without that background, it's a little steep for beginners.) You might also consider Head First Java, which is a great introductory book whether you have programming background or not. Also, bookmark The Java Tutorial as an online reference.

(There are several "Dummies" books focusing on different aspects of Java, but the ones I've seen should be avoided at all costs.)

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by f. nikita thomas:
... [Thinking in Java is] also easy enough to find on the web in pdf or html formats...

Bruce Eckel made early editions of Thinking in Java available free online. However, the current edition (4th) is not legally available for free. Also note that the free editions were prior to Java 5, which was a very significant update.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by marc weber:
"Dummies" books . . . [about Java] . . . should be avoided at all costs.

At all costs?

The Barrie Burd books are very good at explaining how the Java syntax works, but he uses the main method throughout, so you never see proper object-oriented programming. I have a copy of Beginning Java for Dummies myself, so I shan't be buying another (I would however buy new editions of Deitel and Deitel or Horstmann and Cornell), nor would I recommend it to a beginner, but maybe "avoided at all costs" is a bit of an exaggeration?
[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: Campbell Ritchie ]

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Campbell Ritchie:
...but maybe "avoided at all costs" is a bit of an exaggeration? ...

Maybe, but I'm only referring to "the ones I've seen." There have been a lot of "Dummies" books for Java, and there certainly might be good ones that I'm not familiar with -- like Barry Burd's.

(Okay, maybe I'm still bitter because the first Java book I bought was a "Dummies" book that was unbelievably horrible. But there's little chance anyone will pick that one up now, because it hasn't seen a new edition in 9 years.)

Michael Rivera
Ranch Hand
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the replies, i did started Head First Java 2nd edition, but i failed to finish it , now i wanted to use it again for my work as a learning tool for Java. Ill be skimming to other chapters that i think is ok for not reading it again. Yes sun tutorial will be on my list.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic