• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

project in java on"tracing user on my computer"

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello everybody,i am rajat
i want to do my final year engineering project in java on the following concept:

"if any unknown user or known user logon to my computer then how could i trace what are the operations performed by that user.
Operations to be traced must be :

1)every mouse movement
2)folder clicked & visited
3)each & every path which the user visited

can tracing of user be saved as video or .dat file containing:

" video of window screen for mouse movement folder click
& path visited"

.............can anybodody please help i will be very thankfull
[ September 13, 2008: Message edited by: rajat mandaniyan ]

best scout
Scala IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi rajat,

welcome to the JavaRanch

What you're trying to do with this application depends very much on the operating system you want to support. And if I understand your plans correctly it would be not the best idea to use Java for this kind of application regardless of the operating system. Although it's no problem to trace all events within an application in Java it won't be possible to trace the events of all running tasks or applications with pure Java. You'd be better of with another language which allows you easier access to native OS resources at least for that part where you want to intercept user events. I think most popular operating systems today offer the best support for C/C++ if you want to access low level details of your system. Then again your application won't be very portable between operating systems.

Anyway it's hard to give you really good advices without knowing more about your ideas regarding this application. And besides these technical issues you should at least think about if it's very nice to spy on other users

Marco
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic