• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

fair

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Somehow this morning I remembered the Vonnegut teaching us about "fair". I think it was a short story. Everybody that had an advantage over other people somehow had that advantage mitigated. Graceful people were required to wear something that made them less graceful; smart people had a lound ping disrupt their thoughts.

Anybody remember what this story was?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah - it was a movie too... something like the 254th amendment said that no one could be any better at anything than anyone else...

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh boy, now to figure out which book it was from. Since I have read them all, but a while back, remembering the specific one is very tough.

Guesses,

"God Bless you, Mr Rosewater"
"Welcome to the Monkey House"

Not "Cat's Cradle", pretty sure it's not "Slaughter House 5"

Maybe "SlapStick"

from Wikipedia about "Slapstick"

It is concerned with the life story of Dr. Wilbur Daffodil-11 Swain. Dr. Swain is a nearly 7 foot tall man who, in close physical contact with his twin Eliza, forms a vastly powerful and creative intelligence. This intelligence goes on to create, amongst other things, a plan to end loneliness in America through the creation of vast extended families. Under the plan, all citizens would be provided with a fanciful middle names, paired with numbers.

Kind of along those lines, so I think the character made those other things like.

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic