• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Clustered WAS: How about other servers ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My current application runs on WAS6.1 base and for better availability (failover) we are moving to Horizontal Clustered environment.

Currently, I have 5 servers (web and thick client) in my DMZ that talk to application server. Two of them are web servers and others are thick clients.
When I move to clustered environment, there will be only one (out 0f 5) web servers (our main WWW server) that will be load balanced, means I'll have two similar WWW web servers. I know that we'll have to generate the plugin and copy them to WWW servers for load balancing of two WAS servers.

Now that I have two WAS servers where the other servers have to be connected.
My question is: How do we configure other servers that are not being load balanced so that their connectivity is not lost when one of the WAS servers is down.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How do your thick clients connect to the WAS servers? Is it through HTTP or RMI-IIOP (EJB)?

Kyle

Sanjay Saxena
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kyle,
One of my other servers are connected through HTTP and one through RMI/IIOP(EJB Client)

Sanjay Saxena
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kyle,

Any suggestions ??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For HTTP calls the plugin will load balance the calls. If a cluster member is down, plugin will mark it down and never send the request to that memeber untill its back up and running.

For the RMI calls, you need to pass the bootstrap port of the all the cluser members in the provider url. Here is a good article on how the EJB calls works in both a server and cluster instances. Hope this helps.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0807_pape/0807_pape.html

Anant

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic