• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WebApp redeploys by itself !?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a problem that is driving me absolutely insane. Please help.

Due to whatever reason my WAR application redeploys by itself in JBoss server .

It happens at random times, for no obvious reason. Mostly it happens overnight so I am not doing anything to cause it.

When I inspect the server logs I can clearly see that the war is undeployed and redeployed several times a day.

This auto deployment is a huge annoyance because it causes PermGen to run out of memory and crashes the server overnight when I am asleep.

I am using JBoss 4.2.2.GA version.

Has anyone EVER seen anything similar, or do you have any ideas what to even look at?

PS. I am running this same web app on different machine (same JBoss version) and this problem does not happen ever. Both are Linux machines.

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is your WAR file deployed in exploded format or is it deployed in an archive format?

If its deployed in exploded format, then the server keeps an watch on the web.xml file to see if the last modified time of this file has changed. If the timestamp has changed the the hotdeployer picks up this application and redeploys it.

In case of archived applications - change in timestamp of the archive will be tracked. Or even deleting the existing war and placing the application back in the deploy folder triggers the redeployment.

So is something like this happening with your application?

Finally, you can even disable hot deployment. Set the ScanEnabled under the DeploymentScanner MBean to false, in %JBOSS_HOME%/server/< serverName>/conf/jboss-service.xml file:

Al Manov
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Crazy thing is that neither my war file in the deploy folder has changed timestamp, nor the web.xml in the tmp/deploy/....-exp.war/WEB-INF.

Timstamp is from Oct 28, and the app has been redeployed 4 times yesterday alone !?!?...

I have disabled the scanner, so I am hoping that this would fix the issue.

Thank you much
Al

We find this kind of rampant individuality very disturbing. But not this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic