• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

The motiviation for Javaranchism

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am amazed at the interest some people show in participating in these forums, helping out new-comers, etc.

I wish to know what really motivates them to do this. Would love to hear from especially the long-timer java-ranchers.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well I am not long time rancher, just 600 posts old.

I am not feeling that by helping others I am doing not any great thing as
(1) I also learnt so many things from forum
(2) People solve my problems on forum when I stuck somewhere
(3) I can learn new things everyday by looking in to other problem and try to solve them

I am just giving something that I have got from someone and I am just getting from someone that he got from someone else.

I did not know anything in JSP when I started my career as Java Developer. From the very first day I was alone at client side. I had to solve the bug in a project which was delayed 18 months already. Don’t forget that I did not know anything in JSP. But I got lots and lots of help from forum and within 2 weeks only I got enough expertise in JSP. All credit goes to forums. I compare myself than and now. And that is the thing that motivates me.

And remember one thing, unlike knowledge, motivation is your feeling and not something that you got with experience. It comes within you when you born.
[ July 26, 2007: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that people are just basically, @ the deepest levels, community oriented. I think Javaranch provides a safe and nurturing environment in which they can demonstrate that. I also think Paul, the owner of the 'ranch, deserves credit for recognizing this, and for providing a warm & welcoming community.

M

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JavaRanch is a community I'm proud being part of.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been here for about 4 and a 1/2 years, I've not helped people so much but I've learnt a lot from many other ranchers.

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I try not to think about why I'm here too much. If I do, then I probably arrive at a place where I can label my motivations. And I really don't care to do that: I'd rather stay in the spirit of just being here, sharing a good space, and enjoying it while it lasts.

Plus I recently learned Jessica Sant has the hots for me, which makes the time so incredibly worth it everything else is just gravy. She's a paddleball freak, you know

Stuart Ash
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good work guys, keep it up. I am glad I am here too.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's really thanks to all the moderators that Javaranchism has not morphed into Javanarchism

Stuart Ash
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nanhesru Ningyake:
It's really thanks to all the moderators that Javaranchism has not morphed into Javanarchism

Or Javaraunchyism

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is one of the best forum I have ever seen.....

I landed here when i was preparing for my SCJP and got lot of inspiration by reading the posts. Folks here are so friendly and kind in sharing their thoughts and helping each other.

JavaRanch is the Best for Java souls.

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow. Not just a site, but a philosophy! Cool!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I dont know where else to go!

Ranch Hand
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all, dont know how far this is eligible for the refreshed-but-year-old post. Is there any rules for this situations? I am in need of it as i had directed some ranchers yesterday for not doing this action.

Since i think my reply would make sense to this post, i also join with Paul and Atul.

Originally Quoted by Chetan Parekh :
Well I am not long time rancher, just 600 posts old.

I am not feeling that by helping others I am doing not any great thing as
(1) I also learnt so many things from forum
(2) People solve my problems on forum when I stuck somewhere
(3) I can learn new things everyday by looking in to other problem and try to solve them

I am just giving something that I have got from someone and I am just getting from someone that he got from someone else.

Would like to repeat the same here with a little difference: I have been with JavaRanch since Apr 2006 and have around 700+ posts. Could not visit regularly in the initial stage.

Proud to be part of such a great place!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It should be around in early 21st century, 2001-3 something that i came down to this place through google... read a post that was older, and only felt that the discussion forum is simply shut down or what? the colour combination and the picture on the left top corner with a fly... it did make me laugh and i felt i do not want to come to this place, when i visited the home page, i saw the horse and cow, it was more funny and then drew my attention.
It was late 2005 i joined this forum, ofcourse for sake of SCJP 1.4. I enjoyed and enjoyed a lot those days, at times I even argued with people who were senior to me, including the one that interface is not an is-a relationship. It was only after completing SCJP that I started browsing around other areas, meaningless drivel is one of those lateral ones.
I would not deny with the fact that it feels great when I help someone, and I would go with Chetan that this place has given me something and this place gives me the opportunity that i continue the chain ahead. This place teaches me how to be in community and still not lose the individuality. Though virtual but its a great place to be at.
[ July 27, 2007: Message edited by: Akhilesh Trivedi ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic