• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Viewing user connectivity & orphaned sessions

ron fleming
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
(two separate topics/questions)

Is there anyway with Tomcat 4.1.18 to view how many users are connected to my web application at any given time?

Also, is there a general rule of thumb for how much memory an orphaned session uses? I have my inactivity timeout set to 30 minutes and I am wondering if my users are just closing the IE window without properly logging out, leaving an orphaned session in memory for 30 minutes.

William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I would not worry about "orphan" sessions - Tomcat is allowed to serialize sessions to disk to manage memory. The minimum size session is tiny, memory use depends entirely on the references you store there - no generalization is possible.

The "manager" application for Tomcat will show you the number of active sessions - it is impossible to tell exactly the number of users "connected" but the number of active sessions will be the max. As I recall, the manager app was not part of the standard Tomcat 4 download for security reasons.

I upgraded from Tomcat 4 to 5 a number of years ago with no trouble.

Bill

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic