• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problems with Tomcat as service on Windows Server 2003

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I made a small Java web-application which prints pdf-files - on-demand - on the server.

Everything went well on my dev environment, but not when I deployed the application on the Tomcat server in production.

The Tomcat server is started as a service on a Windows 2003 Server. I was unable to print on the server. The application starts an external program that prints towards network printers. The strange thing is that the process of the external program is started (I can see the process in the Windows process manager) but nothing happens further more. I've searched on the net and found a whole lot of issues on this, which all referenced to the user used to start the Tomcat service. So I changed the user the services uses to a local admin, a domain admin, a user, .... Nothing seems to help.

Today I tried it with a batch-file from which I start the external program, instead of putting the path to the program into the Runtime.getRuntime.exec-command in Java. Doesn't work either. So instead of printing I tried to start IE, Windows explorer, calculator, ... from the batch. Each time the process of the program is started but nothing happens.

When I start the server with the startup.bat, I have no problem at all. But unfortunately, that's no option.

I've been trying, experimenting, searching, banging my head, ... for 2 days now. Can someone on this forum help me?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic