• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is SCBCD about concepts more than implementation?

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers

I've been preparing for SCBCD for a while now, meanwhile I kept comparing SCBCD with the other exams I did before, I feel that SCBCD is more about EJB concepts, lifecycles, services, .... etc which all are concepts and how these concepts are implemented in J2EE, while in SCWCD or SCJP I found so many API's and classes, methods, constraints,.... etc which are thorough implementation details.

In SCWCD or SCJP I had to memorize alot of methods and hierarchies compared to few annotations for SCBCD.

is that true? what do you think? did I get a correct idea?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Fahd,

I find the exams to be quite similar (having started preparing for SCBCD a few weeks back and with SCWCD a year back).

You list the following
-concepts - well, SCWCD was quite conceptual too. The idea of a servlet, a jsp, that a jsp is converted to a servlet. The idea behind tags. The idea behind parameters, attributes, and where they can be stored - request, session, application. The idea of listeners and where they can be attached...
-lifecycles - servlets also have lifecycles which are important to get right. Get the threading wrong and you can be in a pickle. Also, think of all the various methods and when they are called.
-services - a web container also provides a number of services - security for one. lifecycle management. State persistence in sessions - passivate/activation...

As I say, I'm still new to EJB, but I do see some really common elements above. The only main difference with EJB3 is the use of annotations which gets rid of the deployment descriptor (if you want them too).
This switch to declarative programming (where you declare to the container through annotations that you want it to provide certain services) from using the APIs should make things a lot simplier and should prevent you having to write service api calls into yoru business logic where they are not appropriate. I guess in a way, you will be learning the api's through annotations rather than simply method calls.

Finally, the whole point of EJBs is to allow you to *implement* scalable, reliable solutions quickly and easily, so I'd say that this exam was very geared towards implementation rather than fluffy concepts.

Does this help? It's how I see it anyway, and I'm keen to know other's thoughts.

MG

Yes, of course, and I accept that blame. In fact, i covet that blame. As does this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic