• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Interview

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

I am having an interview on Monday. They are looking for a Java developer with strong database knowledge. They are having a huge data migration project. I have never done any data migration. What type of questions I may be asked? Can anybody tell some example of data migration using java and oracle. So that I can be prepared for this interview with some examples. I did some google search but it all about pure data migration using some data migration tools. It didn't helped that much.

Thanks in advance,
Sudha.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Well, I would assume "strong database knowledge" to mean knowledge of the SQL language.

Henry

sudha javvadi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for your reply Henry. Can you tell me how to migrate data from one server to another from a developer point of view.

Regards,
Sudha.

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

sudha javvadi wrote:Thank you for your reply Henry. Can you tell me how to migrate data from one server to another from a developer point of view.

Regards,
Sudha.

Data migration depends on where the source is, where the target will be, what the original format is, what the target format will be, etc.... There is no magic migrate command that will work for everything. You need to fluent in Java, SQL, and the tools that will be used.

Henry

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
XML and related technologies like XSLT, XPath, XQuery etc are also very useful for data migration. You can export the data from application A as A.XML and then use XSLT & XPath to translate that to B.xml understodd by application B.

Some applications provide facilities to export in an archive format e.g. A.jar or A.zip and then import into the other application.

It is bit hard to say without having more details.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic