• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Creating a table with a checkbox column dynamically in JSF

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Sirs and Madams,
I am very new to JSF and would appreciate any help on the current issue am having. I have data being displayed on a browser via a JSF table, and the table is bound to a userVOArray attribute on the managed bean. All works well and I have a able of users displayed (first name, last name, user type etc). As the array is populated by data pulled from a database, its size changes depending on users being added or deleted. I wish to add a column of checboxes to the table allowing me to delete a user whose corresponding checkbox has been checked. How would I go about this please?

Thanking you profusely in advance,
Nick

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JSF is based on the Model/View/Controller architecture. So the view (datatable) can only display what's in the model.

Your problem is that the original rows of the datatable don't possess a "delete me" attribute.

You get around this by building a model that does. In other works, instead of binding the datamodel directly to the view, construct a façade class that includes the original attributes of a datamodel row plus a boolean item that indicates deletion and build your view model using instances of this class. You can then reference this view model when looking for items to delete.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can find here two examples: http://balusc.blogspot.com/2006/06/using-datatables.html#SelectMultipleRows

Phoenix Kilimba
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanking you both for your prompt responses, I will try your suggestions and get back to you with any further queries.

Thanks again,
Nick

Phoenix Kilimba
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello again, am pleased to say the suggestions made came in extremely useful and I have sorted out the dynamic checkbox issue, thanks again! However I now have a similar issue: I would like to have a new column next to the checkbox column, also dynamic with a button so that when that button is clicked on, that row is selected to be edited (However if there is a better way of fulfilling such a use case please let me know). Am using a Table as opposed to a datatable from the palette in netbeans, not sure if that makes a difference but thought I would add the info.

Thanking you profusely in advance for any input,
Nick

Bauke Scholtz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Make use of the rendered attribute.

Or something simliar that.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Google for "JSF for Nonbelievers" by Rick Hightower - it's a 4-part series of articles in the IBM Developerworks collection. He presents an excellent illustration of this kind of thing.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic