• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Starting out learning Java for web development with no Java experience?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everybody,

this is my first post here. I work as a web developer and have about 9 years of experience programming PHP, 4 years of Ruby/Rails and about 3 years of Objective-C. I'd say I am a a mediocre programmer but know my way around OO concepts...

Now, I want to broaden my horizon and finally tackle Java for web development. I don't know any Java yet, only Javascript.

Right now I am at the "completely intimidated" stage, having tried to read up on how to get started with java web development, but already have a hard time deciding basic stuff like what frameworks to give a closer look to - there are a a lot of Java frameworks. I would probably like to go the Struts 2 / Spring way plus Google Web Toolkit, probably because I am looking for something like RoR in the "Java universe".

So, my question is, can anyone recommend books, websites, wikis, or any other resource to learn both Java and its web-targeted frameworks at the same time? I am not looking to become a Java genius, its only the web development subset that interests me.

Could be I am completely steering in the wrong direction, though - please let me know!

Thanks a lot!
Tony

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anthony,
Welcome to JavaRanch!

You do need to learn Java before starting web development. I recommend "Head First Java" and then "Head First Servlets and JSP." Both teach in a very fun way to read while covering important concepts.

You'll still need to understand the fundamentals to use a framework. Once you h ave the background from a book, framework websites provide excellent tutorials to get started with their framework.

Anthony Kissel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeanne, thank you! I didn't know about the Head First series but it looks interesting and gets rave reviews everywhere. I will check it out immediately.

Have a nice day
Tony

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic