• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Dr. House vs. Wooster

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So I have heard of this show "House" many times and got the chance to see it a few weeks back.

It took me a while to figure out that I have seen that actor before. And in a very different role.

As wooster. From Jeeves and Wooster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnB0hQWGdI

A VERY different role.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hugh Laurie has done a TON of stuff.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A big part of him landing the role was when he came in to audition he looked kind of ragged, like his character does now, because he was filming a movie at the time in which his character was supposed to be the rough around the edges kind. I can't remember what it was....something with airplanes and Angelina Jolie I believe...Flight of the Pheonix maybe? I'm not sure.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I really like Hugh Laurie as Dr. House and the wry sense of humor of the character he plays.
In one scene he tells a patient : "Congratulations! you have cancer."
The actor is quite talented and versatile.
I think he played the role of a sidekick to the main villainess in 101 Dalmatians.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

aditee sharma wrote:I think he played the role of a sidekick to the main villainess in 101 Dalmatians.

You could always click on the link I provided and not have to think. ;)

aditee sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Gregg Bolinger wrote:
You could always click on the link I provided and not have to think. ;)

:-) Actually, I am in office and don't want to be noticed by N/W guys on account of accessing non-work related links.
Code Ranch, even if MD, can pass off as work/profession

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Its weird watching House if you grew up with the BBC - Hugh Lawrie is a bit of an institution and often play roles which are what could be considered quintasential British characters.

House is good fun though.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Sturrock wrote:Its weird watching House if you grew up with the BBC - Hugh Lawrie is a bit of an institution and often play roles which are what could be considered quintasential British characters.

Sausage time!

In one of the earlier House episodes, he is an English actor playing an American Doctor pretending to be an English Doctor.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I started watching House as replays on cable. They were not in any clear order. House came off as a completely unsympathetic jerk, and his "cottages" or "houselettes" were one dimensional. Then I pulled down the whole seasons and watched them in order from the pilot.

In order, he makes more sense. He's still a jerk, and more than a bit of a racist, but its possible to see some attraction in him.

The shows were the writers give him a big "sexual interest" were terrible. When they just gave him some charm, HL clearly knows how to do that.

I assume that medically, its as accurate as "The Net" was about programming.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:I assume that medically, its as accurate as "The Net" was about programming.

Actually, this time your cynicism is unjustified. (A rare occurrence ) Here's a blog entry which says that, medically speaking, it's not that far off the mark:

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=is-tvs-house-good-medicine-2009-02-05

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Gregg Bolinger wrote:You could always click on the link I provided...

Which I did; how could I forget Blackadder?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nice topic... It seems I am a little late here though.
BTW, which would you rate better - (very much different though the roles are) - Laurie playing House or Laurie playing Bertie?

paul wheaton
Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here he is as another not-very-house character

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:Actually, this time your cynicism is unjustified. (A rare occurrence ) Here's a blog entry which says that, medically speaking, it's not that far off the mark:

I don't really care what the blog says. As a viewer, I love the show, but as a doctor, I cringe at the messing up of medical science.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, on the Black Adder series he stared alongside Rowan Addison who later became Mr. Bean.

I have hoped that he would have an episode in which his old friend Dr. Bean comes to the hospital in a medical exchange program and proceeds to mess everything up in hilarious ways as House desperately tries to cover for him. Then, eventually, things turn out alright in the end.

Amit kull
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Such an episode would be interesting. Also would like to see the teams' (Chase in particular) reactions when House does some British accents.

By the way, I have always dreamt of having some plot like the one below for a Wodehouse book:
Psmith, Bertie and Jeeves comes to Blandings castle as imposter. They make friendship with Lord Emsworth. But Connie and Baxter have an eye on them. Gally induces Bertie to steal the empress. Psmith teams up with the Duke of Dunstable but find his cloths, manners, etc quite irritating.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hugh plays good roles in Blackadder. Who'd have guessed he can also does a convincing German accent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfrOo3qxVmM

He plays a great character in House it's a nice change to see him play a serious miserable character instead of the comedic/light hearted roles I remember him for.

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Frank Silbermann wrote:Yes, on the Black Adder series he stared alongside Rowan Addison who later became Mr. Bean.

Interesting, huh? Hugh Laurie went from playing the "thick as a whale omelet" Prince George to the super-genius Dr. House, while Rowan Atkinson went the other direction, from the sardonic Black Adder to the simpering Mr. Bean.

I like the idea for the Wodehouse mash-up. I can't remember the world of Blandings Castle ever overlapping with the world of Jeeves and Wooster. Roberta Wickham, a relative of Mr. Mulliner IIRC, did come into Bertie Wooster's life a few times, so those worlds did overlap slightly.

Amit kull
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wodehouse mash up is not entirely an original thought as Wodehouse himself took Psmith to Blandings Castle in 'Leave it to Psmith'. Also, there are always some passing references to Freddie and Pongo (Uncle Fred's nephew) in Bertie's narratives.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic