• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which web service is good to learn

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi to all ranchers.I wann to start learning web services but really confused about what to learn.Cant get any ideas.
i went through different topics which were sent earlier.
but cant figure out where to start.
I am working on jsp,servlets and struts2.0,now wann to learn web services.

please let me know which technology should i learn fgrom this AXIS,XFire,JAX-WS or SOAP. i heard much about soap.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Both JAX-WS/SOAP and JAX-RS/REST are worth knowing. For both, you can install the reference implementations as web apps in a servlet container. If you search through these forums you'll find instructions on how to do that for both.

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
After an initial rush of enthusiasm for SOAP, the major services such as Yahoo, Google and Amazon have settled on REST style web service interfaces. SOAP gets used where security/authentication/encryption are serious concerns.

Excellent toolkits for both SOAP and REST are available, I suggest you pick one and not try to study both at one time - confusing enough one at a time.

Bill

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Get an idea of where SOAP and REST are appropriate (even though you may not understand why) and then dig into REST first, imho.

REST is lightweight and as their supporters like to say, it's not a protocol but an "architecture". SOAP, on the otherhand, is definitely a hefty & complicated protocol, so there's a steep learning curve in getting things to actually work.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd start out by determining your environment. If you're in an industry (utilities, finance etc.) where security and formalized standards are major concerns, you're generally better off with SOAP. If you're customer facing and/or need to be able to get applications up/modified quickly, then go with REST.

I suppose my advice would be use REST if you can, SOAP if you must.

Jordan Josh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for helping me.I need to start from scratch.Could you please tell good book to start JAX-WS/SOAP .

I went through faq and older posts but cant figure out which book should i refer.

William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Books get outdated very quickly as the major frameworks co-evolve with the standards creating organizations. (I ought to know, my book on SOAP got outdated within a year.)

Your best bet is to pick one framework, download the distribution and work through the included sample applications. Learn where to find the standards documents that apply to your framework. Subscribing to the user mailing list for your chosen framework will probably help also.

Search engines such as Google are your friend, you would be surprised how often the turn up important current information.

Bill

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here is a link to a good REST walkthrough-

Rest Explained

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic