• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Devaka's simulator propblem with installation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Please help...wanna start having fun with these ExamLab...help me
the progress bar was at 77%...when the error occurs...which says that the setup cannot contiue , you must be loged in as an adminstator, before you can contiue with the istallation. I am using windows xp

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That error tends to happen with XP if you are logged on as an account that doesn't have administrator rights on the computer. Does your account have admin rights? Another issue could be if you are on a work computer and they restrict program installations in a similar manner.

vuthlarhi donald
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using my pc, I tried to install in safe mode(logen in as an administrator), but stil it doesn't work...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
same for me: no admin rights!
(though I have those on xp: I am not adminsitrator -this is my company's computer- but I have right to install new software
(something I won through a lot of arguing) .... so the admin gave me admin rights though I am not THE admin!
bad ....

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE jQuery Eclipse IDE Postgres Database Tomcat Server Chrome Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vuthlarhi donald wrote:I am using my pc, I tried to install in safe mode(logen in as an administrator), but stil it doesn't work...

The problem is your operating system or something else doesn't allow to create folders on C: drive. Please look at the C: drive. Is their a folder named EXACTLY as "GetCertified Exam Lab for SCJP 5.0"? If not please create a new folder yourself and named it exactly as "GetCertified Exam Lab for SCJP 5.0" (without quote), and then try to reinstall.

Hmmm, I think I should implement a setup feature that allow you to select the destination folder.

Devaka.

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE jQuery Eclipse IDE Postgres Database Tomcat Server Chrome Google App Engine
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

bernard amadeus wrote: so the admin gave me admin rights though I am not THE admin!

Did you install ExamLab there?

bernard amadeus
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
does not work either
I have rights to install softwares but apparently not that one

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

bernard amadeus wrote:does not work either

Mmmm, try to request full admin privileges from your administrator.

bernard amadeus
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Devaka Cooray wrote:

bernard amadeus wrote:does not work either

Mmmm, try to request full admin privileges from your administrator.

as the saying goes: what's the difference between an admin and a terrorist? you can negociate with a terrorist !
more seriously:
I can install any software I want except that particular one! I constantly do this (since I am a developper testing new tools)
my admin is going to refuse more rights on security grounds!
why is the software requesting such extraordinary rights? (I know nothing about win*** -I am a UNIX man-
but do you really need to install dll and resources in a very special place?)

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I couldn't exactly say that which restriction on your system refuses the installation of ExamLab. But I know that there are some issues with the ExamLab installation, as I recently heard some complaints about the installation like this. However, in your case I think you may install it successfully by owning the administrator rights. I did NOT mean that the requirement of full-admin-rights isn't a problem. But there are some other major priority issues that I should have to solve. Hopefully I believe that most of these issues will be solved, once the next upgrade for Vista is released.

Kind Regards,

Devaka.

vuthlarhi donald
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Still having the same problem, tried to create a folder called E:\GetCertified Exam Lab for SCJP 5.0, also tried to just create the folder directly in the program files but it doesn't work...I am desperate to get these working coz I am writing on Mon

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vuthlarhi donald wrote:tried to create a folder called E:\GetCertified Exam Lab for SCJP 5.0,

I said C: drive.

vuthlarhi donald
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I saw it..but I only have E drive...is there sumthing I can do to point it to E:/...coz I can't rename my driver to C:/

bernard amadeus
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Devaka Cooray wrote:. However, in your case I think you may install it successfully by owning the administrator rights. I did NOT mean that the requirement of full-admin-rights isn't a problem. But there are some other major priority issues that I should have to solve. Hopefully I believe that most of these issues will be solved, once the next upgrade for Vista is released.

I am on good old windows XP, and admin is adamant up to the point of being suspicious IYSWIM
he says that any application could be reasonably installed with my rights and refuses to grant greater permissions.

W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vuthlarhi donald wrote:I saw it..but I only have E drive...is there sumthing I can do to point it to E:/...coz I can't rename my driver to C:/

You don't have a C: drive? I thought EVERYONE had a C: drive (at least on a Windows machince).....

vuthlarhi donald
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well I have a C drive which is called E drive...I am using Windows xp, hope that the simulator is not looking for C:/..but I need help...

Devaka Cooray
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

vuthlarhi donald wrote:hope that the simulator is not looking for C:/..

Unfortunately it is looking for that drive.

Hmmm, I think I should implement a setup feature that allow you to select the destination folder.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic