• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Looking for a place to Volunteer as a Java developer

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been self trained on Java for about two years and currently enrolled in a formal training program, I need a place in Maryland where I can volunteer to gain more java coding experience. Will appreciate your suggestions - thanks!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ddoiam Dekky wrote:I have been self trained on Java for about two years and currently enrolled in a formal training program, I need a place in Maryland where I can volunteer to gain more java coding experience. Will appreciate your suggestions - thanks!

I don't know what it's like in Maryland, but in Ontario, Canada the government has retraining or job placement programs that include low or no paying co-op placements like you speak of. I have a friend who was a C++ programmer who started by doing free work that way, and it turned into a full time job after several months. Check with your State Government.

The Internet is a good place to get ideas. Check out the website sourceforge.net. It is dedicated to open source software, and there is always projects thyat need developers.

Try to come up with your own project, one that will challenge you to expand your skills. I am not an advanced programmer, and I myself have such a project, I have written a chess program in java, and there is always room for improvement. I have a thread in the Game Programming forum,you can have a look at. If this interests you, you can respond there or send me a PM.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch

I think I shall move you to the Jobs Wanted forum, where this sort of thing is usually discussed, but your thread will still be visible here in beginners.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
How about one of these: https://coderanch.com/t/448175/Jobs-Offered/careers/Project-Team-members-required-Open

Ddoiam Dekky
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Fred I will give the website a try.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic