• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Rescuing a Domain

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Mods: As I know you will feel free to move this somewhere else, since it's not meaningless or drivel.

Has anyone had to rescue a domain? The company I work for is owned by a guy, who owns this other company. This other company has a website and email etc, etc, but absolutely no technical staff to speak of. So they 'share' our technical staff (me and the usual suspects).

A long time ago, before I worked for either place, they set this other company all up with a domain and email, all hosted by a 3rd party. My company? we self-host everything. The other company? At the mercy of the hosting provider.

which is normally just fine. They pay their $10/month and they're happy.

except... they're hosted by www.linuxwebhost.com If that link works, it would be the first time in about 2 days. And my sister company's domain has been down now for about 3-4 days.

the problem: The whois "contact of record" is WAY WAY WAY out of date. not only does Craig not work there, that email of record will bounce. So I'm in the process of trying to update the whois, so that *I* can request a domain unlock and transfer.

What I've had them do is put a request to change the information on their company letterhead, and fax it to me, where I turn it into a PDF and attach it to an email that gets sent off to support@linuxwebhost.com. And guess what? Bounced: mailbox too full. (I can well imagine).

Let's assume the worst: linuxwebhost.com cannot resolve its problems and/or goes belly-up. Who do I "appeal" to, to rescue the domain?(please, just unlock the friggin' domain).

I'm working against 2 very bad situations.
1) Me myself and I, are not the 'owner of record' for the domain
and
2) the current registrar/host is having major problems

argh. and my boss was hoping I could get us hosted somewhere else within 24 hrs. heh.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is the domain registered there? or just hosted and DNS and mail served there?

You can check the registrar with whois. If its Network Solution, I know they have a process to change the admin and tech contacts, which then lets you point the DNS and other services to any host you like.

I had to do this a week or so ago, my company's domain was registered in Australia (we are in the US) and the web hosting vendor was mangling the DNS pretty seriously.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic