• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

You didn't believe me when I said I played in a band? :-)

Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ha ha! I guess I am famous for just one more day

From yesterday's San Juan newspaper, in Spanish; you can use Google translation�

See my picture at mid-page.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/revistas/revistas/una_era_dorada/384760

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool!

Did you actually use the Jazzmaster's dual volume/tone settings?

Tony Alicea
Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow! That's really an esoteric question And the answer is no if those are the two rotary controls on the top side of the guitar body. I must admit that after playing with them the first week or so, I didn't find much use for them, although that was probably due more to my inexperience with a high priced instrument

I remember that using them highly diminished the treble of the tone, when it was treble that I wanted�

"I should have bought a Strat!"

marc weber
Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Tony Alicea:
... I must admit that after playing with them the first week or so, I didn't find much use for them...[/i]

From what I've read, that's pretty common. It seems like a cool idea, but it never caught on. As you noticed, onboard tone controls really just cut treble, so most players leave them all the way up for the best signal.

Tony Alicea
Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As you know, the top rotary controls were turned OFF/ON by a simple on/off switch. I left this switch always in the down (OFF) position, turning off these controls. To this day I think they had been useful to a jazz guitarist You know, the very low treble accompaniment typical to some jazz tunes.

My joke is what the hell was I doing with a jazz guitar when all I wanted to play was rock!? Ha ha!

"Errors of youth" . It still sounded very good but for the Stratocaster. Btw, contrary to popular belief the Jaguar was not that hot although it was better than the Jazzmaster for rock.

Again, Jimi Hendrix knew perfectly well what he was doing when he chose the Stratocaster!

It was great gaining back 15 minutes of fame at work today due to the newspaper article

Tony Alicea
Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The photo in the newspaper was taken in Dec 1979, TEN YEARS AFTER my Last Waltz.

My band really started playing in Navy and Army bases (the best audience, since they were all English speaking teens interested in the same music as me and my peers were), in 1965 when I was 15 and others of the band, the same age. One or two members, a year or two older (they later left and by age 16 I held control of the band. Control in the good musical sense since I was the one with the most formal musical education (forced accordion lessons at 12-13!).

That's why we were arguably the best band of that age group; there were a few+ better bands, all in their very early 20s some of them living by themselves, not going to school and practicing a lot.

Then, in 1968 we went psychedelic with Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Doors just to start... Three of us were 18 then; wow! Adults! Ha! (not quite!)

AH! Great Times! I have more presumably interesting (if we include the adventure/age ratio) tales but I am shutting up now...

Rock On!

They worship nothing. They say it's because nothing lasts forever. Like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic