• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Design Patterns with JavaFX

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There are specific Design Patterns for JavaFX?
I know that a lot of design patterns are "encapsuled" by JavaFX, like what happens with Java in general.

Gail Anderson and Paul Anderson:
Do you speak about it in your JavaFX's book?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The design of a JavaFX program is fundamentally different than a Java program (although, in the end, JavaFX is turned into Java).

In our overview chapter, we discuss this difference, which can be called the "scene graph metaphor." In JavaFX, you describe your scene graph (using declarative syntax) by specifying the look and behavior of all of its nodes. Then, your application just "runs." Some applications need input from the user; others just run on their own.

The power of the scene graph is that, not only do you capture the entire structure of your application in a data structure, but you can change the display simply by modifying properties of the objects in the scene graph.

This is the JavaFX-centric description.

JavaFX GUI can be a front-end for a traditional MVC application and any number of design patterns can be applied. In particular, if you have a Java-based middleware/backend system, JavaFX frontend can hook into it seamlessly.

We also spend time in Chapter 6 (Anatomy of a JavaFX Application) discussing how to use object oriented design principles to construct custom nodes.

Gail

William Antônio Siqueira
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What Cool!
I'm doing a CRUD with JavaFX, soon I will post all to see, but I think I disrespect many design patterns...

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic