• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

use applet or swing - with java web start

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys

We are to develop a tool which is going to be GUI intensive, with frames, panels, drag and drop options to connect or map various components. Aim is to create mapping between two data sources. One being a txt file and other being a DB2 database. May be via an excel file or XML file.

So we need to show easier models to display the data, mapping rules, mapping results, data conversion etc.

I don't think going with J2EE web application using struts will be a good choice looking at the GUI intensive work involved. Rather we can make a desktop swing application and keep multiple instances of it synchronized using Java web start. Or may be use applets?

I am not able to get a final say on this. Please suggest. Thanks in advance. (In case this post does not belong here, I am sorry for that please guide me where to post it)

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not to mention that the files you plan to work on are going to be on the client system, so for Struts to work on them you would have to upload them to the server and download the resulting files back to the client when you were finished. So yes, a Swing application sounds like not a bad idea.

Shashank Rudra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Paul for the response.
Using Swing application with struts means, will I have to use applet. Or do you mean totally desktop based application using Swing's Jframe and all.

Also the home of this GUI will have multiple other options too. So do I need to make the central page(home page) using JavaScript menus and launch an applet where-ever I need to switch to applet with rich swing based components. OR totally put all the application and features in an applet that will serve as ground zero. To start that up we may devise a LoginServlet mechanism where after the applet will take control.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Shashank Rudra wrote:Hi Guys

We are to develop a tool which is going to be GUI intensive, with frames, panels, drag and drop options to connect or map various components. Aim is to create mapping between two data sources. One being a txt file and other being a DB2 database. May be via an excel file or XML file.

So we need to show easier models to display the data, mapping rules, mapping results, data conversion etc.

I don't think going with J2EE web application using struts will be a good choice looking at the GUI intensive work involved. Rather we can make a desktop swing application and keep multiple instances of it synchronized using Java web start. Or may be use applets?

I am not able to get a final say on this. Please suggest. Thanks in advance. (In case this post does not belong here, I am sorry for that please guide me where to post it)

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic