Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question password retrieval capabilities and additional features

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi , I have been working on designing a login page and Ive had this question as to how to send users his/her password for their registered entries to their respective email addresses if ever they click the FORGOT password link...I have an idea as to how to do the validations using scripts and also, I can work with JSPs but I have never done this before and I just want some sort of guidance as to which direction I need to proceed. I appreciate that guys.

Thanks,
-M

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I never store passwords as plaint text. In fact, I store them as a one-way hash so there's no way to retrieve them. Rather, in my systems, when a user sets their password, I let them store a password hint that they can leave themselves to remind themselves of their password.

If you want to be able to send them their password, you need to devise a rock-solid way of having them prove that they are who they say they are. Some sites do this with questions that the user has supplied answers to. I prefer systems that let me set both the question and the answer, as opposed to questions that they choose.

medhaj hambi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suppose what you are talking about is...pretty much putting up the security questions like BOA sites and basically getting the password etc etc..
I was wondering if there are open source frameworks that I can use to send the user their passwords VIA email...Ive heard someone talking about configuring email server on the machine and tweaking through it and thats the way they usually work. If you have any idea, can you pl eloberate on that ??
And how long do you think it would take for me to have the whole setup configured and running (if you have answered to the above question) ?

Thanks Bear, You have been of great help to me.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

medhaj hambi wrote:If you have any idea, can you pl eloberate on that ?.

Please use real words when posting to the forums. Abbreviations such as "pl" in place of "please" only serve to make your posts more difficult to read and less likely to generate useful responses.

Please read this for more information.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know of no such frameworks (doesn't mean they don't exist), and I can't predict how long it would take you to set this up, as I have no idea about your ability level.

There's really nothing too complex about it all, so I'd suggest just start digging in and post back if you run into specific difficulties.

medhaj hambi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can you please let me know how to deploy a web-application using the tomcat server? I have gone through the documents and found that I need to basically place my application folder in the tomcat/webapps/ folder and then deploy it just by saying ....http://localhost:8080/applicationname/
but this doesn't seem to work for me. I have this directory where in I have all the JSP and JScript files that belong to the application (Its a website that I need to make changes to..) and I suppose Index.jsp is the home location of that applcation. I have been trying to run this on my local machine using the above url...but even though, I made sure that tomcat is running, I donot see my applcation being deployed. Any thoughts on this ???
Thanks a lot. I appreciate that.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As that is a completely different question and specific to Tomcat, please post it in the Tomcat Forum. I'll close this topic so there won;t be any redundancy.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic