• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to Load the applet only if the activeX component could not be found?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

Currently, the login page of my web application will load a activeX component in order to access a desktop application installed on the client's PC. There is a ongoing change in the login procedure, we will be using applets instead. The problem is, I have to provide support for logging in using the activeX components as well for the transition period of 6 months.

Is there a way to load the applet or an activeX alternatively on the same jsp using the OBJECT tags? (ie. if the activeX component could be loaded, then do not load the applet. If the activeX component is not present then load the applet.)

I tried using nested OBJECT tags but its seems like the browser will try to load both objects. It prompted the warning that the webpage is trying to run a ActiveX component and after clicked on 'Ok' it tries to load the Applet as well.

<!-- Try to load ActiveX first -->
<OBJECT type="application/x-oleobject" ID="ActiveXLogin" CLASSID="clsid:xxxxxx" CODEBASE='/ocx/login.ocx' WIDTH="0" HEIGHT="0">
<!-- Load Applet if the ActiveX could not be found -->
<OBJECT CODEBASE='http://devt/applet' CODE='Applet/Login'
width='0' height='0' ARCHIVE='Login.jar' NAME=Login >
<PARAM NAME="legacy_lifecycle" VALUE="true">
</OBJECT>
<!-- End Applet -->
</OBJECT>
<!-- End ActiveX>

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

If we don't do the shopping, we won't have anything for dinner. And I've invited this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic