• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Guidance needed for my career in Configuration Management

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone,

I am a fresher in a MNC. I recently been allocated to a project ( Configuration Management Team ) where they are mostly concentrating on Build and Deployments using Weblogic and UNIX. Could anyone share your thoughts about the scope of Configuration Management in the industry right now. Is it really worth beginnig my career in this team. Suggest me how to shape my career with this start. I am so new new to this. Could anyone guide me on how to start my career in Weblogic, should i do any certifications straight away. Or get some practical knowledge and then do the certifications. Wat would be the books i have to go through, courses if there's any i need to attend. Please help me as this is the start of my career.

Thanks n Regards,
Tamil.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Build, Deployment , Weblogic, and UNIX are good skills to have. Weblogic is a popular application server. Once you have learnt enough (as this area can become repetitive), explore other avenues that interests you.

Kevin Navles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

arulk pillai wrote:Build, Deployment , Weblogic, and UNIX are good skills to have. Weblogic is a popular application server. Once you have learnt enough (as this area can become repetitive), explore other avenues that interests you.

Thank you for your answer. I've already started working on this now. As i am a fresher, i would like to know the scope of this Configuration management in the market now. Are the SCM people wanted in the market now?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

At a smaller shop they will not have entire roles devoted to something so specific. It's like hiring a writer to write a report, then hiring another guy to print out the report and staple it.

Kevin Navles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Isano wrote:
At a smaller shop they will not have entire roles devoted to something so specific. It's like hiring a writer to write a report, then hiring another guy to print out the report and staple it.

I'm working in a big consultancy services in India and even my project is a big one with a lot of applications. So they've devoted an entire team for configuration management. I have no other go rather than joining this team because of the current slow down( i might not get into a project soon if i refuse this offer). So please guide me on how to start my career from here. Could i be able to have a nice project wide view from this team?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic