• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is it SCJP Easy ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hai Every One,

Here in this ranch , all were wrote i got SCJP 80% ,90 % and 98 % like soon...., Is this an easy exam,
because of no one didn't write i am unable to clear in first attempt.
If any one didn't clear in first attempt, and later cleared please help to ranchers even me also, what are the mistakes you did and better approaches have to take for going to exam

Thanks Achievers

Siva.Rsrk

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Howdy Greenhorn.

People are much more likely to celebrate their victories than their defeats. Lots of people don't pass on their first try. Just sit outside a testing center and look at the glum faces of people walking out. But the good news is, many of those people pass on their second or third tries.

-Cameron McKenzie

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I have read the requirements for the SCJP I though it's a piece of cake for me.

Still I got myself the SCJP Exam Prep book and quickly figured out that the exam is not easy at all.

But don't get discouraged though, the exam prep books prepare you really well for the test, after all they are written by the people who have created the test.
It takes thorough learning and practice, but if you really take the test seriously it won't be too hard to manage.

Look at it this way. The harder the test, the more valuable the certificate is .

One personal advice: Write a lot of code. Memorizing things is one thing, but if you actually code, try out concepts and mechanisms, you will learn much faster.

Siva Rsrk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Sebastian for your reply, it creates me a positive attitude for the SCJP ,

but one thing is iam very lazy to write code and also iam afraid of the errors , how to avoid this, Is any valuable suggesstions.

Sebastian Janisch
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, if you're too lazy to write code, why would you want to take the SCJP?

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sebastian Janisch wrote:Well, if you're too lazy to write code, why would you want to take the SCJP?

Such harsh words, Sebastian!

The only university course I ever failed was Computer Science 101 (although I don't boast about that on the dust-jacket cover of any of my computer books ). Not owning a computer, and not being able to book any decent time on the university computers, all I did was study the text and do the exercises in the back on pen and paper. I thought it would be enough, and I did study hard, but nothing can substitute having a compiler there to teach you the nuances of a programming language.

With all the books out there, you can't blame a greenhorn for thinking that reading and doing mock exams is all you need to do. It's not - you've got to write code. It's probably not a bad piece of advice to give someone new to programming.

-Cameron McKenzie

Sebastian Janisch
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Cameron Wallace McKenzie wrote:
Such harsh words, Sebastian!

I didn't mean to be harsh ;) No offense at all.

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All good

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Siva Rsrk wrote:Hai Every One,

Here in this ranch , all were wrote i got SCJP 80% ,90 % and 98 % like soon....,

Hi Siva,

Don't be taken in by some of those claims, whilst there are several people who have done extremely well in the SCJP exams, sadly there are also those of whom it would appear, 'add a little sugar' to their results. As there is no real way of checking the validity of their marks, there is certainly scope for exaggeration and even downright lies. However, I myself cannot certainly prove such an accusation, but what I can tell you from my first SCJP attempt, last April, after an intensive Java boot-camp, is that the SCJP is hard, not impossible but certainly not easy. Focus on your learning, and also it is vital to do some practice exams (have you tried Devka's free exam simulator - http://www.examlab.tk - Not only will this help you understand the scope of knowledge required, but also the style of some of the exams. The style and approach of the questions in the SCJP was the real 'catch-me-out' for my exam, it wasn't that I didn't know the actual Java,it was more that I was caught out on exactly what they were asking. This can be a real make or break for things like Threads and Generics.

I to, was also caught up in the pass-mark percentile fervor previous to my bootcamp, but I came to realize pretty quickly its not about high marks, its about passing. Whatever your approach, a pass is still a pass and you will be SCJP qualified or not, whether your 'spot-on' the mark or way up in the stratosphere with a near perfect score. At the end of the day, what matters more?

My personal advice is to pay less attention to exam results of others, lest you become an SCJP hypochondriac! Focus on what you need to know and understand for your own exam. Read books, do practice exams and use the internet for great information such as here on the Ranch, which is by far the best online community for Java there is. Remember however, take a balanced view to information, try to find out more about an issue if you are stuck, then going on the premise of one thread on a forum or a chapter in a book, avoid complacency at all costs, and don't be afraid of asking what you may think to be silly or stupid questions, ignore those who boast and bluster and you will do OK

Much luck you you my friend.

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The harder you prepare, the easier it is.

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One thing I will add is that I see way too many people OVER prepare. I've seen people spend an extra three months studying that wasn't needed.

Not that it's a bad thing, but I often would encourage students (when the exam was a little cheaper) to just do a practice run and go in with the intention of failing, but at least to learn how the process works. Many would pass, with lower scores of course, but they saved three or four months of prep time, and could concentrate on other technologies. So, lots of people over-prepare for the exam too.

-Cameron McKenzie

Stephen Davies
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
for Camerons, point, that is what I did, and it helped alot. Lets just hop I get it the next (real) effort!

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I always emphasize to my students that there's no shame in failing. There's shame in giving up, but there's no shame in failing. These exams are tough, and going in for a dry run is actually a good strategy. It can be an expensive strategy these days, but it is a good strategy.

Good luck!

-Cameron McKenzie

Siva Rsrk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Iam very thankful to both of you Cameron & Stephen for your suggestions, really it helps me a lot.

Thank you once again!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic