• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Myths! We should believe or not, thats the question?

Ranch Hand
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The definition of mythology as Wikipedia = The word mythology refers to a body of folklore/myths/legends that a particular culture believes to be true and that often use the supernatural to interpret natural events and to explain the nature of the universe and humanity.
& i read articles as follows
1. Mythology.
2. Myth.
3. Creation myth.
& many more on web, from my parents, grandparents.
But i didn't get many myths are not logical, scientifically prove, then also people believe & follow some customs. Why?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sound a bit too meaningful for this forum...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Our understanding of Nature changes with time. Today's truth may become tomorrow's myth. There is no sharp boundary in the transition. So myths will persist as truth for a while.
[ September 14, 2008: Message edited by: Satish Chilukuri ]

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mandar Khire:
...many myths are not logical...

...when taken literally.

But as Picasso said, "Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth."

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

But i didn't get many myths are not logical, scientifically prove, then also people believe & follow some customs. Why?

Because they believe. You can not prove belief.

If you could logically and scientifically prove it, most folks would not call that a myth, they would call it a scientific proof.

Note: a scientific proof is not absolute. Math proofs can be absolute. This is not classical physics, Newton's law, etc. are acknowledged as true, but only usually. The quantum physics dudes break large parts of classical physics. But we still say that F = MA

Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pat Farrell:

Because they believe. You can not prove belief.

If you could logically and scientifically prove it, most folks would not call that a myth, they would call it a scientific proof.

Note: a scientific proof is not absolute. Math proofs can be absolute. This is not classical physics, Newton's law, etc. are acknowledged as true, but only usually. The quantum physics dudes break large parts of classical physics. But we still say that F = MA

I think i can try to say, you are much more near to absolute truth!
But i got following quote from Bertrand Russell who says:-
What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.

As Albert Einstein gave proof, about 'belief can be prove' in Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God.
So i think, his theory also base on Assumption.
[ September 14, 2008: Message edited by: Mandar Khire ]

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

People are not rational, logical and critical thinking beings by nature. Most people believe anything that sounds plausible, or which is told by someone with authority. The world would be totally different if people would naturally think rationally and logically.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

As Albert Einstein gave proof....

Funny you should mention Albert, he also happened to say...
"The intuituive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Mandar Khire]: As Albert Einstein gave proof, about 'belief can be prove' in Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God..

Except that Einstein said no such thing. That web page is lying to you. This is just another insipid made-up "atheist professor" story attempting to make a point with the professor as straw man; these things have been floating around the internet for years. The argument given is hardly proof of anything, either. But apparently some people find it more persuasive if Einstein's name is attached to it.
[ September 15, 2008: Message edited by: Mike Simmons ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic