• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

using Turbine & its benefits

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Pls. someone let me know what is turbine & what are the benefits of using it ? I mean I know its a servlet based framework but I really do not have an idea for what purpose its being used & how to use it ?
I have downloaded tdk2.1 (with tomcat), have installed it - now wat next ?
Thnx.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If you haven't read the introductory documentation, it talks about the Model 2+1 "idea".
Struts is considered Model 2 (Model 1 was spaghetti code JSPs and maybe servlets). Model 2 is an implementation of MVC (Model View Controller). The idea behind MVC is to separate, as best possible the Model (your business data) from the View (the presentation: HTML or XML or ...) from the Controller (logic for moving from one page to another (but not business logic).
Turbine adds another "layer" of separation. Turbine uses Velocity for processing templates. Templates are pretty much "pure" presentation layer with specific velocity like tags. This allows your HTML developers to play with the templates without any impact on the Java code. Meanwhile, your "engineers" can happily code Java without impacting the presentation. The split is more delineated in Turbine.
If your developement shop is not large, meaning you are basically the one who designs the graphics, writes the HTML, codes the Java, and engineers SQL queries against the Database, then it may not be a real big deal.
If, however, you do have a clear delineation of roles in your IT shop, then Turbine just may be more attractive than STRUTS.
Turbine also takes an approach of generating as much of the code as possible for you.

Cheers,
Mike

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic