• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Java best option for first learning languaje?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I'd like to learn programming, I don't know how to start, Is Java a good choice?

Author
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not in my opinion. I think the syntactic/ceremonial overhead make it particularly unsuitable as a first language.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There probably isn't a "best" first language. Some are easier to learn than others; Java is probably one of the easier ones. But programming is in itself a difficult activity.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
At my old university we started out with Pascal, and I did find that a nice starter language. Try to avoid Visual Basic though, as it is a horrible piece of dog poo.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I started off with C and found it quite easy to grasp the fundamentals.
But whatever language you choose, do yourself a favor and do not go for the drag and drop style IDEs, or IDEs which auto generate code for you. Thats a big no no at the beginner stage. A simple text editor/compiler combination helps best.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think everyone is different... with the right mindset, any language can be a good first language.

My first language was BASIC (on the Commodore PET). I quite enjoyed it. It was a very easy language to learn. I got bored of it after a few months though.

My second language was 6502 assembly language. Those were the days.... ... one 8 bit register (for math), two 8 bit index registers. Only memory based operations were load and store (no in-memory math).

Henry

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
just about any language will have some overhead you need to slog through. the trick is to figure out what you can safely ignore for now, and what the lesson is really trying to teach. For example, don't worry about why you need

"public static void main (String [] args)"

and what all the little pieces mean at first. Just know that you need it for now. then, as you learn more and more, you might start seeing the word 'void' used with other methods. Then come back and see why it makes sense here. Same for the other parts.

an early example might talk about if/else if/ else statements. focus on that part and get good understanding of that syntax, what it can (and can't) do, etc. The rest will come with time.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
in my experience - as a beginner of C++ and Java - I find Java easier, once I got over the "public static void main(String[] args)" anyway.. There is the Java API which you can lean on, also you don't have to bother with pointers various other things the creators of Java didn't find neccessary to bring to the language.

I don't think either are easy to learn however.. Or very fast to learn (I wish). In fact I find it hard to motivate myself in learning Java until I took a course recently, I have applied to another one, and it is a real motivation boost, having a clear goal ;) I personally haven't bothered with any other languages because I keep hearing about limitations when languages such as Visual Basic, etc etc are brought up

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

lisa broker wrote:Hi, I'd like to learn programming, I don't know how to start, Is Java a good choice?

If you Google this you'll see there's a lot of opinion. Personally, I'd look into Python as a first language.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think java is a good first language but i would recommend python.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@lisa broker,
I think now you are in dilemma .
All the Ranchers' suggestions are worthful.
In my opinion, you can start learning programming with any language. (Myself started with Pascal, and then COBOL, FORTRAN, C, C++, Java, etc.,).
If you want to learn Java from a training center, tell the trainer as you don't know any other Programming language, because,
What I have observed is most of the Java Teachers are teaching Java to the students by assuming the students already know some non-OOP language (for e.g. C-language).
All the best!

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I previously wrote:There probably isn't a "best" first language.

And everybody seems to agree with me

Welcome to the Ranch, Dominic Carr

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you guys think about Javascript?

You don't need to install anything to execute, just use your favorite web browser!

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That (Javascript) leads to another question: why would you want to learn a computer language?

Sure, you could learn Javascript. But all it can do is mess around inside a browser. So if your goal was to write a program which could -- say -- keep track of all the species of moth you had ever seen, you couldn't use Javascript. Likewise Java isn't good for writing spyware. So you have to ask yourself what's your reason for learning this computer language.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A lot of people I respect say that Python is a great choice. I'd say Java is a pretty good choice, but when you learn Java, try to find instruction that really focuses on the object oriented perspective.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good point, Bert. You can find some books, eg Head First, Barnes and Kölling, Deitel "early objects edition" which introduce object-orientation (OO) early in the process. There are others, eg Barry Burd, SAMS "Teach Yourself" where it is intoduced later and much of the code is written in a procedural style. Agree with Bert that learning OO is a large part of the process.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic