• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Flex vs Swing

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Satish,

great that you take the time answering questions here! Great to have a book based on the actual version of Flex, that takes care of Java programmers questions.

So here is one from me: how do you see the future of Swing in the context of having beautiful frontends like Flex? I know, they are not 100% comparable, but in practice I think many developers will think as those as 'the' 2 alternatives, especially comparing the Air framework with Swing. Swing has a huge, mighty API, but I often have the feeling that it doesn't get the attention it could have get, since it is _that_ huge (and complex sometimes).

Sorry if this is a very basic question (I am currently preparing for SCJP): is it possible to build MVC apps with the combo Java/Flex nicely? I guess the answer is yes, since would be the view anyway, but how can I pretend the connection is been made?

What time would you expect would I need, if I have basic Java knowledge (SCJP) and no Flex knowledge to get ready for starting your book? Is it more like 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months, if I would spend 2 ours of preparation everyday (well, I have seen the links in your other answer, but an estimation would be helpful).

Many thanks in advance

Ray

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic