• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Web Start and JFileChooser

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So, I have a program that must be distributed using WebStart, and it has to have Save/Open dialogs. The program runs PERFECTLY (If I may so ) when not in Web Start, but the moment I run it through Web Start, I can't use anything that invokes a JFileChooser.

Is there a reason for this I should be aware of?

If I haven't mentioned enough, let me know and I'll be happy to provide any and all details!

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What exactly do you mean by "I can't use anything..." - are there any exceptions if you do so in the Java Concole?

Barring further information I'd guess that the jar file used by the application is not signed, and thus it is not allowed to access the local file system.

Brian Drelling
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nope, there are no exceptions if I do this outside of Web Start or anything--it runs perfectly fine. Also, the JAR is up to date and everything. Sorry for not being specific, but I simply can't use any command/listener/method that would invoke a JFileChooser.

My JAR is not signed... does it have to be? I suppose I should get to it then.

I asked in another thread, but maybe I should append here if this is the case. Is there a tutorial for signing JAR's? (The CORRECT way.) Or etiquette, conventions, or anything?

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, you have to sign the jar, and you also have to put a suitable <security> element in your JNLP file.

Here's a link to Sun's JAR tutorial. Hint: if you want a Java tutorial about X then the Google keywords are "java X tutorial". Look for Sun's tutorials in the list, they will usually be at the top.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic