• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jacquie - problems reading your Intro.pdf file

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I wanted to learn a bit more about your book so I downloaded the introdution (Intro.pdf) from your web site, but Adobe Reader (version 9.1.3 running on Windows XP) is having problems with the embedded font "PDDLPB+TimesNewRoman,Italic" and both pages are displayed as blank. BTW, I also looked for an alternate PDF reader, found one called FoxIt which got good ratings from cnet and tried it - no error messages but other than seeing the second page was page 6, it didn't display anything either.

What version of Acrobat Reader are you using?

I know this isn't a kind of question about your book, but I figure you'd like to know there are issues with the PDF file. So here's an actual question, is there somewhere to view the Table of Contents?

Thanks,
Burk

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am having trouble with my "techtidalwave.com" website!

Will make all of my Tidal Wave materials available via my other website, objectstart.com, shortly ... please stay tuned! (I'll post the info. in the thread "Taming the Technology Tidal Wave: Practical Career Advice for IT Professionals.")

Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jacquie Barker wrote:I am having trouble with my "techtidalwave.com" website!

Will make all of my Tidal Wave materials available via my other website, objectstart.com, shortly ... please stay tuned! (I'll post the info. in the thread "Taming the Technology Tidal Wave: Practical Career Advice for IT Professionals.")

It's a nice looking site. Sorry to hear you've got other issues - I thought it was just the PDF's format.

Burk

Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jacquie Barker wrote:I am having trouble with my "techtidalwave.com" website!

Jacquie,

I went to the downloads page on objectstart.com and was excited to see the top link was for the intro to Tidal Wave, but it looks like the PDF there is having the same issues as the one on techtidalwave.com - more info: this time I tried using my Mac, which opened it using Apple's preview applications, so it's definitely not an issue with Acrobat Reader.

Burk

Jacquie Barker
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I promise to address the PDF issue just as soon as humanly possible ... this week has been CRAZY busy for me at work!

Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jacquie,
I didn't mean to poke you about it, I just wanted to let you know that it's not necessarily techtidalwave so you don't waste time fixing something that may not be broken.

I'm sure we've kept you busy just trying to respond to all the questions and opinions expressed. From what I can see, you've done a great job of staying on top of it all.

Thanks for being here,
Burk

Jacquie Barker
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've just "freshened up" my website, and have posted a new version of the Intro.pdf file ... if anyone is interested in taking a peek, please visit http://techtidalwave.com and, after entering my website, please click the link "Read the Introduction" link at the top of the page.

If you are still having problems, please email me offline at jacquie@objectstart.com ... thanks much!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic