• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

javafx Basic questions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi guys,
I recently came across javafx and i have some doubts regarding it

1)is javafx like javascript? Is it a client side scripting language like javascript.
2)Or is javafx a server side .

What i mean by server side or client side does javafx get compiled at the server side and then embedded in the html page and given to client for view or is it more similar to javascript which gets executed at the client side.

3)or is javafx a advanced version of jsp

Please help me guys.

and also provide some good books or tutorials where i can learn javafx please

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JavaFX code is compiled to Java bytecode, then packaged into a jar file (on a dev computer, then transfered to the server). The jar file is then sent by the server to the browser.
It is executed on the client side, by the local JVM and automatically downloaded JavaFX runtime.

So, it is client side but users cannot see the JavaFX code, unlike JavaScript.

Books: I suggest to search Amazon or similar for JavaFX, there is now 3 or 4 books on the topic.
Tutorials: see Learn JavaFX - FAQs, Tutorials, and APIs | Get Started with Java FX page for a good start, there are many other good tutorials and articles on the Web too.

PrasannaKumar Sathiyanantham
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, Thank you so much.

That client side was what confused me a lot in the beginning .

Now i am clear in the topics.

Thank you

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hails people

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone please explain to me in a bit more details what JavaFX really is.
For example, if one'd ask me what Java is I'd say it's a platform that consists of several key components:
- specification of java virtual machine and java bytecode run by this VM + platform specific implementations of VM.
- specification for java language + platform specific implementations of Java compilers, that make a bytecode out of sources.
- java class library classes - standard mostly "pure-java" classes (+ some JNI calls) that ship with JVM and provide basis for developers to build on.
Something like this.

If this is too blurry, I can ask some specific questions about JavaFX - is it purely platform independent or there are platform-specific implementations? What it consists of: pure java classes or something else too?
If platform-specific, which platforms are supported and why?

Mykola Makhin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, I guess this - http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/2008/08/05/watch_javafx_sdk_run_on_linux.html - partially answers my question.

"One thing that people noticed right away is the fact that the JavaFX Preview SDK is available for Windows and Intel/Mac, but not Linux or Solaris. A cursory examination of the Windows and Mac OS X version of the JavaFX Preview SDK reveals that they are almost identical in content. The only differences are in native libraries and startup scripts/executables. The native libraries fall into the area of native audio/video playback and (for Windows) some 3D effects."

Philippe Lhoste
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First advice: when looking information on JavaFX, discard anything posted before December 2008 (see your link: 2008/08/05/watch_javafx_sdk_run_on_linux.html). The pre-release version and the 1.0 version are very different.

Today, JavaFX is available on both Linux and Solaris (IIRC).
And yes, there is quite some platform-specific code, to accelerate graphics (GPU-bound), via system API (eg. using Direct3D on Windows). That's why most JavaFX effects (blur, shadows...) are not available on the mobile platform (no GPU).

Mykola Makhin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I see. Thanks for your answer, will concentrate on only 2009 and later docs.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic