• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse Search Files & Reusing Edit Window

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy folks!

I've been using Eclipse Ganymede (Version: 3.4.2) Search > File Search a lot...works great...except...

Say you want two files (two tabs) in the edit window. You search for the first one, get a few hits, click 'Show Next Match' a few times, each file showing using the same window in the edit pane (reusing the edit window). In this case, reusing the same edit window is good.

Now you have found the first file you're looking for, it's open in the editor, and you go to Search > File Search again and put in the search criteria for the second file.

As soon as you click 'Show Next Match', the file you opened earlier is _gone_ with no apparent way to get it open again without searching for it again!

I know I can make a 'fake edit' to the file, and that edit window will not be reused when I click 'Show Next Match', but I don't like to make fake edits because then I have to wonder if I really changed something there.

So how is this supposed to be done?

--Dale--

It's a pleasure to see superheros taking such an interest in science. And this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic