• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is it worth spending 975$ ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Guys...

Previously for All there levels of SCEA the total cost is 200 + 250 + 150 == 600$

But now I guess we are looking at 300 + 375 + 300 == 975$..

Is it worth spending this much money beyond the effort & time for this certification ?
Looks like it's good money making business for them & money losing trap for us.. :-)))

I don't want to discourage SCEA aspirants, but just giving some awareness to be prepared for...

Regards,
SG.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The SCEA provides value in two ways: by increasing your knowledge, and by providing you with something that looks potentially good on a CV. (I say "potentially" because there are job markets in which such certificates count for close to nothing.)

So the question becomes: Do you get a payback in either of these areas that's worth $600 or $1000? For the former it's hard to gauge, maybe ask yourself: How else would I spend $1000 to educate myself? Would that have more or less of a worth to me? For the latter, the cost is negligible if it clinches you a job, or if it clinches you a job that pays just a few hundred $ more than you might otherwise have earned.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I've worked in several places, and so far all have proposed to pay the certifications completed successfully, as an incentive. So, I never "lose money".

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Suresh Gopalakrishnan wrote:Guys...

Previously for All there levels of SCEA the total cost is 200 + 250 + 150 == 600$

But now I guess we are looking at 300 + 375 + 300 == 975$..

Is it worth spending this much money beyond the effort & time for this certification ?

From the customer service perspective it is definitely not worth!

The costs increase gives you nothing but:
  • frustration - you can write email to sun, but they have better things to do than answering - several weeks of waiting is just the beginning
  • anger - you see P grade in sun_assignment, but nothing new in www.certmanager.net/sun - who was the architect of their systems?
  • hate - they force you to pay the money and they give a shit

• Sun Microsystems is the worst company I have ever had to do with!

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Preparation helps to learn concept or practices used in market. Even if someone is not working on some specific technology, can learn & if wants to take certification or not its up to individual. While spending time on technology helps to learn, & if working on that technology or role is not in my resume, then I prefer to take certification; which helps to prove credential that I have knowledge of that role / technology.
    Interviewer is the person to check the knowledge, but to get short listed, need to prove either experience or certification from organisation.

Nobody force anybody to take the certification, it's individual's call based on their planing to learn or progress.

Coming to experience with Sun - It was excellent for me. For one of certification, post certification kit was lost in transit. I got new soon after writing to Sun. For another certificate; I bought wrong certificate, I wrote to sun with my cell no. I got call from them, I explained the case; they helped to provide new certification voucher via e-mail.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Deepika Joshi wrote:

Coming to experience with Sun - It was excellent for me. For one of certification, post certification kit was lost in transit. I got new soon after writing to Sun. For another certificate; I bought wrong certificate, I wrote to sun with my cell no. I got call from them, I explained the case; they helped to provide new certification voucher via e-mail.

Hi Deepika Joshi,

It seems you are very very lucky with the experience you had with Sun. Many people in this forum are complaining regarding the long waiting for the results and replies from Sun.
    I'm also waiting for my results but just crossed 4 weeks. I sent a mail and multiple reminders to Sun and Prometric for one of the issue I encountered at Prometric center, but I did not get a single response from either Sun or Promtric. I think it all depends on our luck.

Best regards,
    Sri.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Can check with Prometric ..Some seassional Offers will be there....
    Check for Those from Prometric..

In India we are waiting for Offers.Prometric Guys will send a mail about fee concession in particular time Zone, After that only we will purchase here .

Cheers!
    Prathap.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Is it worth spending -- Depends on your goals that motivate you to take the exam.

In other words if someone asks me whether a certified architect gets any special consideration in the job market...My answer would be a big NO. Java and J2EE has been around for over a decade and is pretty widely accepted in the enterprise software market. It used to make a difference earlier this decade..not any more.

Only advantage I see is by doing this, you are challenging yourself..outside your work where you have more control over what you are doing and are given a good opportunity to stand up for yourself...Now if you wanna ask me whether thats worth it...hell yeah.....its worth a lot more that that...

Bartender
    MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Well it depends on how you see it. If companies near your area prefer the SCEA, then educating yourself will give you that edge. On the long run that 975$ can give you great mileage.

Ulf brings a good point earlier in the post. Just ask yourself if the 975$ can be spent elsewhere for the same return on investment.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic