• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to actually learn web services

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am SCJP/SCWCD of 2001 and have lot of java experience but am pretty new to web services.

I am 30 and working full time for years as C++/Java developer for a hot company in bay area.

I am lacking motivation to learn web services (don't use in my job ) and when ever I need to use some thing, I just google and fight fire.

I remember that passing SCJP did not make me good developer but it gave me inside obscure knowledge which is not used in day to day work but makes your understanding very sound. I learned my threading model in SCJP and it still helps

So I just dont want to pass exam for sake of certification as it will not give me any edge as at my level it is just a piece of paper but nevertheless I wanna pass exam to keep myself motivated.

So what would be the good book to start from which would not help me learn real stuff but also keep me motivated to pass exam. I knwo web services theory could be really boring ?

Should I start from RHM J2EE Web Services book ? I already bought it in 2007 but never opened it

Help me friends. I even cant recall my old id which I used for this site in 2001. May be some one could dig emails to find my IBM UML exam post which I passed with 85% in 2001 and it was big in those days .. Ah old days, I feel old ....a

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The current WS exam is very SOAP-centric (very little REST in it), and while SOAP was exceedingly hot a couple of years ago, it's not so hot now. If you don't *need* the knowledge right now, I'd stay away from the exam; maybe install a SOAP stack and develop some services as a learning experience instead. And more importantly, get familiar with REST and play around with a JAX-RS implementation.

Ali Shair
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:The current WS exam is very SOAP-centric (very little REST in it), and while SOAP was exceedingly hot a couple of years ago, it's not so hot now. If you don't *need* the knowledge right now, I'd stay away from the exam; maybe install a SOAP stack and develop some services as a learning experience instead. And more importantly, get familiar with REST and play around with a JAX-RS implementation.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Any resources for REST and JAX-RS ? I remember that RHM book had some section on REST as well. Is that good start ? Also I want to learn theory behind the scenes (always help at my level to throw some buzz words and consider multiple choices at design time )

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The RMH book predates JAX-RS (although it may be OK for REST in general, I don't know). The JAX-RS reference implementation (Jersey) has a bunch of documentation on dev.java.net, and the WebServicesFaq also links to a lot of useful resources.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi!
I can recommend two nice books on RESTful web services:
  • RESTful Java with JAX-RS

• Written by Bill Burke, who also developed the JBoss RESTeasy framework for JAX-RS.
  • RESTful Java Web Services

• Written by Jose Sandoval.

These two should get you started, at least.
    Best wishes!

Ali Shair
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Ivan Krizsan wrote:Hi!
    I can recommend two nice books on RESTful web services:

• RESTful Java with JAX-RS

• Written by Bill Burke, who also developed the JBoss RESTeasy framework for JAX-RS.
  • RESTful Java Web Services

• Written by Jose Sandoval.

These two should get you started, at least.
    Best wishes!

I looked into REST and found it interesting. I think i am going to start with RHM book just to know what was supported earlier(and why it is depreciated now). You cant appreciate goodies unless you know bad things

Also I printed out Ivan A Krizsan book Thanks Ivan for your efforts. If I clear my exam in next 2 months, I will buy you a dinner (via pay pal :-). Would you recommend to read RHM book first or I should start from your book. I remember RHM book was pretty boring when I tried to read it in 2007.

Ivan Krizsan
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi!
    I recommend starting with the RMH book to lay a solid foundation regarding XML etc. Skip the parts on JAX-RPC.
    RMH is quite good at explaining things, my notes are not quite of the same high quality, but I tried to include practical examples that you should try yourself (and extend).

By the way, SOAP web services are not bad. They are suitable in certain scenarios, while RESTful web services are suitable for other scenarios. I find having both of these tools in my toolbox valuable.
    Good luck!

Ali Shair
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Ivan Krizsan wrote:Hi!
    I recommend starting with the RMH book to lay a solid foundation regarding XML etc. Skip the parts on JAX-RPC.
    RMH is quite good at explaining things, my notes are not quite of the same high quality, but I tried to include practical examples that you should try yourself (and extend).

By the way, SOAP web services are not bad. They are suitable in certain scenarios, while RESTful web services are suitable for other scenarios. I find having both of these tools in my toolbox valuable.
    Good luck!

Thanks Ivan. RMH book has complete section on JAX-RPC (with5-6 chapters) Should I skip all of them? I think JAX RPC is replaxed by JAX-WS, right ? Is JAX-RPC still covered by exam ?

Ulf Dittmer
    Rancher
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Is JAX-RPC still covered by exam ?

The ScdjwsLinks page has a link to the exam objectives.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic