• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Griffon as a generator for other languages

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Andres,

With Grails, we can generate views that are not directly bound to a HTML implementation. The Flex Grails Scaffold, ZK project, OpenLaszlo, amongst others, show that despite it being a ridiculous amount of work, we can use this mechanism to generate polyglot views.

As a UI developer, I see certain tools out there that are starting to blur the desktop / web / mobile boundaries. I see two approaches being taken, the Adobe AIR / Flex / Slider method, where a company sponsors a cross-compiler; and the HTML5 + Appcelerator Titanium model, where code that runs on the web is rendered into Objective-C, Android, etc.

When I look at the Griffon view syntax, for example, I say to myself, 'hey, that looks just like the MXML structure in Flex'! But then I begin to wonder how easy / hard it would be to take that syntax and actually generate Flex code that works from it.

Is it anywhere in the Griffon roadmap to enable it to be a more general groovy based template or generator of languages outside of the Java / Swing world?

And please don't say that Swing and JNLP is the solution, because that would cause me to jab a fork into my eyeball.

author
VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Tomas, there's no ongoing effort to have the builder syntax be used to translate Swing code into HTML/JS/Flex MXML, at least from Griffon's POV. It is certainly possible to write a FlexBuilder however I'm unaware of someone working on it already.

There are other alternatives to Swing, ate least when it comes to running inside the JVM. Griffon has plugins for SWT, Pivot, Gtk and JavaFX. Other JVM toolkits may be supported in the future. The great thing about all these toolkits is that they are supported via plugins, the core of the framework is pretty much toolkit agnostic.

Cheers,
Andres

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic