• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Understanding List and String.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should tag your code.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Here it gives me the address lcoation where the String Array is stored. why so ? why does it not give values like List ?

It's up to each object how its toString method works - some are more useful than others. But note that arrays are not "real" objects, they're kind of faked by the compiler and the JVM compared to "proper" classes/interfaces like List. The faking stops short of a useful toString method, though.

here the value at index 1 (ie value 2) gets overridden , why so ? Why doesnt the value at index two move back and five be put at index two and all other indexes shifted backwards?

That's how arrays work - an assignment is not an insertion. Plus, arrays are fixed-length, so extra elements can't easily be added; that's what ArrayList is for.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. That is not the address but the hasCode value. If you are not overriding the toString() method then the method of object class will be called and whenever you are passing any object to System.out.println() method, system will implicitly call the toString method. In case of Array object this method is not overridden and in case of list it is overridden to return the value in that order.

For the second question related to change in array value please check the API specification here

jose chiramal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Harpreet Singh janda for you response.

How can i know which classes override the toString method and which do not ?

Can I say that all collection classes override the toString() method ? Since if the toString() method is not overridden I would get the hashcode value and not the values in that collection. Thanks for responding

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Above is the default toString() implementation you get from the Object class.

jose chiramal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you got my question wrong. What I meant to ask is this :

All classes have access to toString() since all classes extend java.lang.Object. Can I say that all collection classes have overridden the toString method ?

jose chiramal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"In case of Array object this method is not overridden and in case of list it is overridden to return the value in that order. "

Can i say its only in case of Array object that I would get the hashcode value and all collection classes would provide me their respective values ?

Brij Garg
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

All classes have access to toString() since all classes extend java.lang.Object. Can I say that all collection classes have overridden the toString method ?

You can check Java api.

I think yes all collection classes have overriden toString method. AbstractCollection is the class which has overriden toString method. This class is then extended by all collection classes

Brij Garg
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

In case of Array object this method is not overridden and in case of list it is overridden to return the value in that order. "

Can i say its only in case of Array object that I would get the hashcode value and all collection classes would provide me their respective values ?

Yes in case of array object you will get the hashcode value.
We dont have any Array class in java.

Also try Arrays.toString() method and then see the result.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic