• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Flex4 in Action and command line tools

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

First of all it's really cool to be able to ask questions to you guys. I read the Flex3 in Action book and I liked it a lot, so I'm guessing this one will be even better knowing the differences between Flex3 sdk and the next release.

I was wondering if Flex4 in action covers the usage of the Flex sdk's command line tools such as mxmlc, compc, fdb, asdoc and fcsh, as well as integrating them in java apps

Thanks
Julien

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
With regard to integration with Java, there is a solid amount of content that I put together for working with Flex on the client and Java on the server side and how to get the two to communicate, as well as avoid common pitfalls. In regard to the command line tools, we didn't get too much into that because what we've found is that the vast majority of Flex developers are trying to wrap their heads around things like how Flex 4 handles components with the Spark architecture, how it is better than before, and how to properly take advantage of the Spark architecture. Other major points of interest include integration with Flash Catalyst CS5, and the many new FB tools like code-hinting, code generating, the network monitor, etc. I also spent a lot of time on how to leverage Flex 4, Spark, and Flash Builder 4 (as well as Flash Catalyst CS5) to speed up your workflow. If you're anything like me, you find yourself living in an inherent "catch-22", where requirements continue to become more involved and expectations get higher, and yet the timelines seem to consistently get smaller... yet you cannot sacrifice the quality of your work because you take pride in your craftsmanship. That was my mentality that I took toward my sections of the book.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Julien Castelain wrote:

I was wondering if Flex4 in action covers the usage of the Flex sdk's command line tools such as mxmlc, compc, fdb, asdoc and fcsh, as well as integrating them in java apps

Making use of the Flex SDK Compiler API for Java isn't covered in the book as it would be out of scope for the general audience and deal more with Java then with Flex. For the most part the assumption is that you are using Flash Builder.

Julien Castelain
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Dan and Joel for your answers, I can't wait to get my hands on this book

Cheers,
Julien

Are you okay? You look a little big. Maybe this tiny ad will help:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking